Re: [agile-usability] UX books for programmers

  • Robert Gravina
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 7 10:58 AM
      2009/12/7 Jeremy Kriegel <jer@...>
      > I liked the way the first half of The Inmates are Running the Asylum humorously sets up how to approach this problem.

      Thanks. I think I need a laugh right about now :). Has anyone read
      Coopers other book (About Face 3) - I've heard it's a bit of an
      interaction design classic, and the UX people I've worked with in the
      path seemed to be doing something like the Cooper method. Although the
      book says it's relevant for "web 2.0 sites", it does seem to have a
      GUI focus (based on the table of contents, Part III seems to be very
      GUI focussed as it covers menus, toolbars, etc.).

      Can anyone comment? Is it still worth a read?

      Robert
    • Austin Govella
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 7 1:51 PM
        Robert Gravina wrote:
        > Does anyone have any books/resources they can recommend for a)
        > learning the basics of UX in the context of web applications and b)
        > learning techniques for refactoring not-so-good UIs into something
        > better?

        Being lazy and not reading the rest of the responses. Apologies for
        duplicates.

        Krug's 'Don't Make Me Think' is the perennial favorite, and I don't
        think anyone will ever write anything better. Best introduction to UX
        for anyone. Half pictures and half words, plus cartoons and winning style.

        Christina Wodtke and I wrote the 2nd edition of 'Information
        Architecture: Blueprints for the Web' as an intro to UX for non-UX
        people. We do not explicitly focus on database apps, though all of our
        experience and the majority of our examples reference such. Half
        pictures and half words.

        Robert Hoekman's 'Designing the Obvious' takes a lot of common apps with
        database interfaces and de-engineers them and up-UXes them. Pretty
        useful to see it in action. Mostly words.

        --
        Austin Govella
      • Tim Wright
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8 1:01 AM
          That really depends on how you define "web 2.0" :)

          In any case, the problem you'll need to look at is "what are your users trying to achieve". About Face can help with that. How you turn that information into a solution is a different problem - and the book gives hints for a conventional WIMP interface (windows, icons, menus, pointers). The ideas are probably equally relevant for websites (note tho: I've got About Face 2 - not About Face 3 - beside me).

          Tim

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8 2:24 AM
            Thanks all for the great responses!... of all those mentioned, two stand out for me as being particularly useful - About Face 3 for it's coverage of goal-centred design and Designing Interfaces for it's practical, pattern language approach to solving common interface problems.

            Neither of these are particularly web-focused, but I can see that the concepts are general enough that they could apply to web applications, too. It would be nice to find a really good web-focussed one though.

            Robert
          • Jared Spool
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 11 2:40 PM

              On Dec 8, 2009, at 5:24 AM, Robert Gravina wrote:

              Thanks all for the great responses!.. . of all those mentioned, two stand out for me as being particularly useful - About Face 3 for it's coverage of goal-centred design and Designing Interfaces for it's practical, pattern language approach to solving common interface problems.

              Then I'd add Bill Scott & Theresa Neil's Designing Web Interfaces to the mix.

              Jared

              Jared M. Spool
              User Interface Engineering
              510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
              e: jspool@... p: +1 978 327 5561
              http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: @jmspool

            • hackerchick
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30 8:47 AM
                Thanks for posting this!  I'm also a programmer who's interested in building more usable applications.  I feel like we're starting to see better design with web sites and a lot of books on web usability, but it seems like most applications are still really lacking in this area.

                I'm currently reading About Face 3, which seems a little wordier then necessary - but some very good stuff. I really like his distinction between implementation model (exposing the database structure :) ) vs. the user's mental models.  It does seem to be tailored to application GUIs, I'm not sure what about it would be web 2.0 specific per your question.

                I'll also check out Designing Interfaces and Designing the Obvious.   I know the latter is meant for web apps, but I wonder - with the newer development technologies like WPF and Adobe Air if the distinction between desktop applications & web applications is really starting to blur because we're not restricted to traditional windows conventions?

                Abby
                --
                abby fichtner,
                http://TheHackerChickBlog.com
                --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gravina <robert@...> wrote:

                > 2009/12/7 Jeremy Kriegel jer@...
                > > I liked the way the first half of The Inmates are Running the Asylum humorously sets up how to approach this problem.
                >
                > Thanks. I think I need a laugh right about now :). Has anyone read
                > Coopers other book (About Face 3) - I've heard it's a bit of an
                > interaction design classic, and the UX people I've worked with in the
                > path seemed to be doing something like the Cooper method. Although the
                > book says it's relevant for "web 2.0 sites", it does seem to have a
                > GUI focus (based on the table of contents, Part III seems to be very
                > GUI focussed as it covers menus, toolbars, etc.).
                >
                > Can anyone comment? Is it still worth a read?
                >
                > Robert

              • Nancy Frishberg
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
                  On Dec 7, 2009, at 8:44 AM, Robert Gravina wrote:

                  Catching up on my reading, and offering at least one slightly older
                  work that I've enjoyed and recommended:

                  Ellen Isaacs (http://izix.com/index.html) and Alan Walendowski's
                  Designing from Both Side of the Screen. They walk through the
                  interaction between user-centered design activities (by the designer
                  and with users & customers) and the developer, who likely has greater
                  knowledge of the possibilities and limitations of the chosen
                  technology. Plus they talk about developing for 2 delivery platforms
                  (PC & mobile) at once.

                  http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Both-Sides-Screen-Collaborate/dp/0672321513/
                  (and wow! I'm surprised that the price has held or gone up!)
                  -- Nancy

                  Nancy Frishberg +1 650 804 5800 mobile
                  nancyf@...
                • Robert Gravina
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
                    2009/12/30 hackerchick <haxrchick@...>
                     > I'll also check out Designing Interfaces and Designing the Obvious.
                      I know the latter is meant for web apps, but I wonder - with the
                    newer development technologies like WPF and Adobe Air if the
                    distinction between desktop applications & web applications is really
                    starting to blur because we're not restricted to traditional windows
                    conventions?

                    I read through Designing Interfaces over a week or so and found it
                    *excellent* and was just what I was looking for. The main reason for
                    this is that the author has created a catalouge of patterns for UIs
                    spanning web, desktop and mobile, much like we have design patterns
                    for software. I feel like now I can look at a UI problem and have
                    somewhere to start, and know of examples of real-world applications
                    which tackle the same problem (or similar problems) in similar ways. I
                    feel one step closer to being able to create great interfaces, and not
                    just recognise them. It's a good book... thanks to Tim for
                    recommending it!

                    Robert