Re: [agile-usability] Agile vs. Creativity

  • mark schraad
    Message 1 of 118 , Dec 6, 2009
      wow... that cuts right to the core observation in my 4 year study of large corporations. The individual focus on career advancement as the means and the end rather than great work as the means. The hierarchy and roles (read as job titles) is often the structure for not only credibility but work flow. Very distracting stuff.

      On Dec 6, 2009, at 1:40 AM, Jared Spool wrote:

      On Dec 5, 2009, at 4:22 PM, mark schraad wrote:

      At a base level, in order to get away from prescriptive prd's I like to move product manager towards providing the problem statement

      Ah, yes. Don't tell me you need a bridge. Tell me what the valley looks like.

      I think part of this problem comes from focusing on roles instead of skills. We've found, in our research that the best teams think in terms of skills and less about job titles and roles.

      When you're skill based, it's possible that multiple people on the team can handle a particular challenge. When you're role based, you get into ownership issues and turf wars.

      If you talk about design (or design decisions, as Jeff put it) from a skill-based perspective, then everyone on the team is doing it in some form or other.

      Jared

    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero