Re: [agile-usability] Agile vs. Creativity

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 118 , Dec 5, 2009
      Hello, Glen. On Saturday, December 5, 2009, at 5:57:28 PM, you
      wrote:

      > Maybe expanding your horizons will reveal some examples. ALL the software
      > for embedded flight controls, battle space management, space craft ground
      > and on orbit control, general and commercial aviation avionics, guidance
      > navigation and controls (GN&C), command and data handling (C&DH) boxes and
      > their user interfaces, the 777 avionics suite for example spring from the
      > design process. As a success example, these represent billions of dollars in
      > recurring revenue for their firms (Honeywell, Raytheon, Northrop, Lockheed
      > Martian) and employee 10's of 1,000's of software engineers, V&V, UI
      > designers, and a myriad of other "software intensive" staff, from simulator
      > development, embed testing, logistics systems and our little niche of
      > program planning and controls.

      What do you really know about the extent to which what we're calling
      design here really drove those projects, and the extent to which the
      billions of dollars you quote is due to design? I would guess that
      just a little of it might be due to other aspects?

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      www.xprogramming.com/blog
    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero