RE: [agile-usability] Agile vs. Creativity

  • Glen B. Alleman
    Message 1 of 118 , Dec 5, 2009

      Ron,

      Maybe  expanding  your horizons will reveal some examples. ALL the software for embedded flight controls, battle space management, space craft ground  and on orbit control, general and commercial aviation avionics, guidance navigation and controls (GN&C), command and data handling (C&DH) boxes and their user interfaces, the 777 avionics suite for example spring from the design process. As a success example, these represent billions of dollars in recurring revenue for their firms (Honeywell, Raytheon, Northrop, Lockheed Martian) and employee 10’s of 1,000’s of software engineers, V&V, UI designers,  and a myriad of other “software intensive” staff, from simulator development, embed testing, logistics systems and our little niche of program planning and controls.

      «clip»

      > In the 30 years that I have been working and consulting with designers

      > in corporate environment and code shops, I have found it
      class=apple-converted-space>
      > extraordinarily rare to find designers working in an environment of
      > respect. They are seen as purely tactical when in fact design is an
      > incredibly effective tool at the strategic level (need I really trot
      > out the list of companies that succeed using design as a tactical
      class=apple-converted-space>
      > advantage?).... but I digress.

      Actually I have asked before for an example of a really successful
      software project that has gotten that way because of its really
      fantastic design
      . My followup question will be whether that design
      was done in the ivory tower, or by designers working in the mud with
      the rest of the team. Your words below make me think you will make
      the same prediction I would: //IF// design has ever really made a
      difference in software, it made that difference with designers being
      part of the team not placing themselves above it.

      I was speaking more broadly to product design... and that includes services and software. I have yet to see really successful software design and production. Granted most of my experience has been in startup mode - proof of concept companies, but it is a very young field and very complex. I think the book dreaming in code does a nice job of documenting this. I think agile is an interesting approach. I do not think it is a mature metoid, and I doubt if it, in its current state, ultimately becomes a standard (but that is probably foder for a different and much larger conversation.

      Glen B Alleman

      Logic is not an effective or practical tool for capturing degrees of belief

    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero