Re: [agile-usability] Agile vs. Creativity

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 118 , Dec 5, 2009
      Hello, Larry. On Saturday, December 5, 2009, at 10:23:36 AM, you
      wrote:

      > Absolutely brilliant blogtoon-the real life of designers captured. It can get even worse
      > working with a large company where every manager gets their fingers into the pie. And when
      > it's interaction design as well as graphic design that get diddled with, the results can
      > be utter and unmitigated disaster.

      It is certainly true that everyone has opinions about design, and
      not even wrong. It is also the case that some people are better at
      it than others.

      What strikes me now and has for the years this list has been in
      existence, is the strange assumption that a designer can give
      someone something that they want, need, and will accept, without
      effectively communicating with them right along.

      Few of us want to be presented with a fait accompli. Yet it seems,
      so often, as if designers want to go off in their holes, design
      something, bring it back and have everyone go "bravo". Yet so often
      it doesn't happen.

      What might this be telling us? One possibility is that the 99.5
      percent of us who are not designers are wrong ...

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      You don't need to see my identification.
      These aren't the ideas you're looking for. Move along.
    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero