Re: [agile-usability] Agile vs. Creativity

  • Jon Kern
    Message 1 of 118 , Dec 5, 2009
      Frankly (as if I am ever not that), i was stunned by the subject line.

      Why the heck is there a "versus" in between Agile and Creativity?

      Would there not be in a subject line like, oh, I don't know: "Waterfall
      and Creativity?"

      Then I started to scroll down to see if I could catch up.

      I scrolled...

      I scrolled...

      I read a good comment by the ever astute Ron Jeffries.

      I scrolled...

      Then, I said, heck with it... nothing else could possibly be said about
      this subject with so many posts.

      Then I clicked on the link Jared supplied. *Awesome*!

      I gave $10 to the Oatmeal's Coffee Fund :-)

      jon
      blog: http://technicaldebt.wetpaint.com
      twitter: http://twitter.com/JonKernPA

      Jared Spool said the following on 12/4/09 11:30 PM:

      >> visual
      >> etc, hey
      >> say?"
      >> right
      >> your
      >
      > All this discussion brought this cartoon to mind:
      >
      > http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell
      > <http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell>
      >
      > Jared

    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero