Re: [agile-usability] Agile vs. Creativity

  • mark schraad
    Message 1 of 118 , Dec 4, 2009
      What Chris is describing is not a partnership at all. It is one person treating the other as their wrist. This might be something a business owner or product manager might be willing to do (because they typically know everything) but not something even a descent art director would do to a designer. It pure and simple micro management and throwing any qualifications the individual might have right out the window.

      And by the way... there is no such thing as graphics design... it is called graphic design.

      On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:34 PM, Hugh Beyer wrote:

      <image001.gif>

      Coming very late to the party, I think there’s some danger of assuming that what works well for code will work as well for other disciplines. This:

      > > Your comment gives me a vison of the PO sitting down next to the visual
      > > designer and saying "move that a little to the left, no, no it's too
      > > big, can you punch up that yellow, oh, now it's too bright etc etc, hey
      > > just for kicks lets try comic sans as the body copy font, whaddya say?"
      > > I don't think this can be what you mean, because no one in their right
      > > mind would wish something like this on any team, but that is what your
      > > comment suggests to me. (Chris)
      >
      > Interesting! You just suggested that I'm not in my right mind. (George)

      Sounds like pair programming applied to graphic design. Yet code is invisible except in its effects; it must be right or it produces unacceptable behavior; and it’s hard to be sure that you’ve triggered all such behavior in your testing. The graphics of a UI are completely visible, have no side effects, and all behavior is consistent and transparent. The only unexpected behavior possible is that of the end user responding to the UI, and you can’t get a cross check on that from the Product Owner. So it’s entirely unclear why this should be an effective technique for graphics design.

      As we integrate other disciplines into Agile development, I think we need to be careful of the unique characteristics of those disciplines.

      Hugh

      Hugh R. Beyer, CTO
      InContext
      Ph: 603 966-7188
      Email: beyer@incontextdesi gn.com

    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero