Re: [agile-usability] Agile vs. Creativity

  • chris chandler
    Message 1 of 118 , Nov 16, 2009
      On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:27 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

      chris chandler wrote:
      > Interesting!
      >
      > Your comment gives me a vison of the PO sitting down next to the visual
      > designer and saying "move that a little to the left, no, no it's too
      > big, can you punch up that yellow, oh, now it's too bright etc etc, hey
      > just for kicks lets try comic sans as the body copy font, whaddya say?"
      > I don't think this can be what you mean, because no one in their right
      > mind would wish something like this on any team, but that is what your
      > comment suggests to me.

      Interesting! You just suggested that I'm not in my right mind.

      Well, that's certainly possible, but I'm pretty sure the scenario I laid out is not what you are suggesting, so the jury's still out.

      Why would you imagine the graphic designer being just a pair of hands on
      the computer while the PO creates the graphic design? Do you really
      think so little of Product Owners? Do you really think so little of
      graphic designers?

      You say they should collaborate over sketches, I went to great length to discuss how a visual designer works (in photoshop). At this point I'm sure I don't understand what you are suggesting -- how would the conversation go in your world??

      -cc

    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero