Re: [agile-usability] Agile vs. Creativity

  • Austin Govella
    Message 1 of 118 , Nov 16, 2009
      On Nov 16, 2009, at 8:46 PM, George Dinwiddie wrote:
      > Larry Constantine wrote:
      >> Another issue raised in this thread that I would like to weigh in on is
      >> the matter of working style and collaboration. The bottom line is that
      >> different people have different preferred ways of working and perform
      >> better in different settings. Many people, who are good team players and
      >> are highly committed to collaboration, nevertheless work best by
      >> alternating relatively brief collaborative problem solving with more
      >> extended independent work.
      >
      > Does it do anyone any good to make the time and amount of work larger
      > between rejections by the stakeholder?

      Yes. The amount of time and the amount of work do not necessarily correlate. This is especially true with visual design. More time spent on design produces more quality and not more product.

      I'll use my hours as an example. If I am working on one complex widget, and I have completed the sketching, IA, and general interaction design, I can create a competent visual design for the one widget in one to three hours. However, to create a solid, really good visual design, it takes nine hours.

      Three times as much time creates the same amount of work, but with vastly different levels of quality.

      Does engineering experience the same kind of multiplying effect? (In my experience, I can recall model design seeing that kind of boost in quality.)

      --
      Austin Govella
      User Experience

      Work: http://www.grafofini.com
      Blog: http://www.thinkingandmaking.com
      Book: http://www.blueprintsfortheweb.com

      austin@...
      215-240-1265
    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero