Re: [agile-usability] Re:Agile vs. Creativity

    Message 1 of 118 , Nov 16, 2009
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      Hello, Greg.  On Monday, November 16, 2009, at 1:36:58 AM, you
      wrote:

      I think the easiest thing to do is try the alternative approach and see how
      it works for your team.  You may want to have your designers spending some
      of their time working an iteration ahead.  This is especially important if
      you are going to gather user/stakeholder feedback on the design. But
      regardless, if your designers are telling you they could be more productive
      and produce better results with a five day lead time, give it a try.

      I think designers clearly SHOULD work with lead time. UX design is
      part of the story definition, therefore it is part of backlog
      grooming, therefore it is done this sprint in the aid of the next,
      or next next sprint.

      I'd agree, with one twist.

      I think the story only needs to be defined enough that things go smoothly while people work on it. Teams new to Agile methods or to one another seem to need a fair bit of clarity. The well-jelled Agile teams I've seen tend to do a fair bit less of that. A variety of learned skills make that possible: better communicating, greater ability to design on the fly, and much closer teamwork.

      William

    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero