Agile UX and Digital Marketing

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2009
      A lot of posts I come across seems to limit the discussion of agile UX to the development of software. Or the good experiences I read about are with software development projects. I worked at a digital marketing agency and have found that, so far, the agile process hasn't allowed us to build our best work. That is, work that is a good user experience, well developed, and thoughtfully creative. However, we rarely used the agile process, so I imagine inexperience with the process has impacted its effectiveness. The projects that we have used them on appear to be good candidates (i.e., tech focused, small teams) but creative and UX always are a factor in our projects.

      Does anyone have tips or even good experiences to share regarding agile UX in the digital marketing arena?

      CV
    • chris chandler
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2009
        Good question Christine, I've been wondering about this myself for a long time. A lot of valuable discussion on this list has been about how to join/marry User Centered Design or UX, with Agile methods, but very little time has been spent discussing the actual visual appeal of a consumer facing web site or application.

        On the UX side (and by this I mean Information Architecture, Interaction Design and Usability) there seems to be a consistent discussion about the need for what Larry Constantine recently described of a "coherent UI architecture, worked out in advance."

        Are there any major, or at least successful creative agencies that have adopted "Agile Creative" as an approach? I'd love to hear about them...

        -cc

        On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Christine <christinemvelez@...> wrote:

        A lot of posts I come across seems to limit the discussion of agile UX to the development of software. Or the good experiences I read about are with software development projects. I worked at a digital marketing agency and have found that, so far, the agile process hasn't allowed us to build our best work. That is, work that is a good user experience, well developed, and thoughtfully creative. However, we rarely used the agile process, so I imagine inexperience with the process has impacted its effectiveness. The projects that we have used them on appear to be good candidates (i.e., tech focused, small teams) but creative and UX always are a factor in our projects.

        Does anyone have tips or even good experiences to share regarding agile UX in the digital marketing arena?

        CV

      • flaviogrupos
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2009
          Hello,

          I think that we can adapt most of the practices of Agile (XP, Scrum, TDD, etc.)

          The creative area (as IA, Design, Usability) are much cognitive than a software. In my opinion, that happens because when we build a software we constantly focus on FUNCTIONALITY. When we think about Agencies/MKT/Websites the focus is on DESIGN/CREATIVITY.

          Also, we have a team that have different skills (designers, architects, programmers, flashers...) and doing a "pair programming" with a designer and a programmer sounds goofy :)

          But I think that we can adapt the Scrum process, for example. The Kanban/Taskboard is usable in 99,9% of the cases, I believe. The iteration process could work fine, also.

          Imagine that your first sprint is to deliver a design of the HOME website. So, you will have IA and designers working a lot, and programmers working less. But, the programmers are very important here, because they will give insights and also will start thinking about the funcions of the website.

          Who dont have the problem where all the IA and design are approved, but when the programming start, they found a lot of problems there?

          The "cross-function" teams are great, but that dont means that they need to pair programming all the time. But track all the project from the beginning to the end.

          Well, what do you think? Sounds a little crazy yet, or helped? :)

          Thanks
          Flavio
          www.agileway.com.br

          I think that we could adapt, for example, the SCRUM process.