Re: [agile-usability] Agile vs. Creativity

  • Glennette Clark
    Message 1 of 118 , Nov 14, 2009
      Having designers work through designs with key stakeholders sounds
      reasonable and more agile in its approach. I wonder how it would work
      in practice.

      It seems to me that that type of over-the-shoulder approach would be
      more effective while building wireframes. Wireframing is an important
      step that sometimes gets over looked or limited.

      Glennette

      On 11/14/09, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
      > Cindy Lu wrote:
      >> We had a team discussion last week about how we can better support
      >> products in creative designs (visual and interactions).
      >>
      >> Currently, the designers provide design iterations on daily basis.
      >> However, we found two issues for some designs:
      >> 1. The number of iterations becomes endless (almost)
      >> 2. At the end, the final design is still not very satisfying
      >>
      >> We brainstormed some ideas to make the delivery better:
      >> 1. Write a visual design brief and review it with key stakeholders
      >> 2. Discuss among graphic designers and user experience designers to
      >> make sure we are on the same page
      >> 3. Give the graphic designer(s) 2-3 days to create several design options
      >> 4. Review the designs among graphic designers and user experience
      >> designers
      >> 5. Revise the designs
      >> 6. Present the designs to stakeholders
      >>
      >> This means, the initial creative design will take about 5 days to
      >> present the draft design options.
      >
      > It sounds like moving to larger batches, and away from agility.
      >
      >> Designers need some time and space for creativity. Daily iteration
      >> sometimes forces the designs to spend time on quality instead of
      >> creativity.
      >
      > Can the designers not be creative in the presence of another human? Do
      > the designs (or the documentation of them) have to be "quality" to show
      > to others?
      >
      > It sounds to me as if the designers are trying to communicate to the
      > stakeholders via documents, rather than face to face. What would happen
      > if a designer and a stakeholder sat down together, so they could discuss
      > what's liked, and not liked, about a design /as it's being sketched/?
      >
      > - George
      >
      > --

      Glennette Clark
      202-683-9508
      glennette@...

      Sometimes I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry.
      It merely astonishes me. How can anyone deny themselves the pleasure
      of my company?

      --Zora Neale Hurston
    • mark schraad
      Message 118 of 118 , Dec 10, 2009
        I've been called pedantic on occasion. I'm ok with that ; )

        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:22 AM, mark schraad wrote:

        Jeff,

        I run with a few definitions of design. When Alan Cooper (I can hear the cackles rise) came to talk with us a while back he spoke of differentiating the design of code (structure), from the design of the application, which is of course much different that designing labels and graphics for functionality.

        For me separating different kinds of design starts to get a bit tedious.  When you think about it, it's like night and day - which although you can tell me to the second when sunrise or sunset is, it's a pretty academic discussion when it's still light outside.  OK, bad metaphor - my point is that all design decision run together.  They just do.  Giving precise definitions for one type or another doesn't seem to help people make better decisions in practice.

        Reading "the oatmeal" has put me in a strange mood.  Yes I am the mother-f**ing pterodactyl: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero