Re: [agile-usability] Re: Agile Team Boilerplate

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 18, 2009
      vasonson wrote:
      > Thanks William. I knew my question was very general in nature but I needed a place to start. Since this is an agile-usability forum, I am most interested in how the user experience team is baked into an agile development team - how does UX work fit into agile? Is this still to broad a question to ask? Thanks again.

      Heh. It's certainly not too broad to ask. However, answering that is a
      major purpose of this group, so I don't know that we have a short answer
      for you yet.

      My personal view is that you can divide UX work up into two sorts. The
      division parallels the common Agile division between product management
      and actual construction. Consider this breakdown:

      http://www.jjg.net/elements/pdf/elements.pdf

      I think the top layers, the most concrete ones, are mainly about the
      details of construction, the how of the project. The bottom layers are
      more about who, why, and what, which is what product managers normally
      concern themselves with. So I'd say UX fits in differently depending on
      which layer you're talking about.

      Regardless, I think the way to fit it in is to make sure that your
      project has everybody vital in one room Then have them frequently
      deliver working product -- including to end users -- and regularly
      evaluate both external effects and internal processes.

      That may seem too simple, but teams who appreciate usability will turn
      to the UX people right away. Those that don't need to feel the pain of
      releasing something bad for their users, so they can learn to appreciate
      those people sitting right there with them. :-)

      William
    • vasonson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19, 2009
        Thank you very much for the resource links!

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Rudiger" <rudiger.wolf@...> wrote:

        > --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "vasonson" <vasonson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all - I'm new to agile development and I was wondering if anyone has a good boilerplate template they could share that identifies and defines the roles on an agile development team, including those of the customer. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
        > >

        > Some people in the agile world think there is no place for roles and others think there should be.
        >
        > Here are links to two agile flavours that do have role descriptions:
        >
        > Open Unified process (OUP)
        > http://epf.eclipse.org/wikis/openup/
        >
        > Dynamic Systems Development Method (DSDM)
        > http://www.dsdm.org/atern/roles-responsibilities/
        > You need to register.

      • vasonson
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 19, 2009
          There are many people with deep scars as a result not considering UX before releasing software! Thanks for the insight.