Re: [agile-usability] Re: Orthodox View of Agile

  • Todd Zaki Warfel
    Message 1 of 134 , Sep 17, 2009

      On Sep 17, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Austin Govella wrote:

      Also, why does done-ness have a binary result (done/not done) instead of a range of values (not done, functional but not usable, usable, a good experience, an awesome experience).

      (In all my experience done/not done has always really meant some *degree* of done-ness the team has agreed will suffice.)

      Couldn't agree more. Done is really a relative term. It's really more like shipped or not.

      Cheers!

      Todd Zaki Warfel
      Principal Design Researcher
      Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
      ----------------------------------
      Contact Info
      Voice: (215) 825-7423
      Email: todd@...
      Twitter: zakiwarfel
      ----------------------------------
      In practice, they are not.

      Message 134 of 134 , Sep 29, 2009
        Hi William,

        A somewhat belated reply :-)

        On 17 Sep 2009, at 01:48, William Pietri wrote:

        > Adrian Howard wrote:
        >>> Given that, it's not shocking to me that there's still a gap. A
        >>> lot of
        >>> designers don't yet see the value in feedback-driven approaches,
        >>> and a
        >>> lot of agile developers are frustrated with their experiences with
        >>> designers. But I have full faith that we'll work this out
        >>> eventually.
        >>
        >> I can't think of any "design" group or individual who's vaguely
        >> competent - agile or not - that doesn't have a whole bunch of
        >> feedback/ iteration in their process. Maybe not feedback with end
        >> users. Often not feedback via code. But certainly feedback from
        >> clients, peers, comparison with alternate designs, etc.
        >>
        >> The problem, in my experience, is a wall between the pre-story
        >> iterations/feedback-loops done by the "designers" and the post-
        >> story iterations/feedback-loops done by the "developers".
        >
        > Sorry I wasn't clear here. When I said "feedback-driven" I'm
        > thinking of things that close the outer feedback loops. I think (and
        > I imagine you do as well) the other feedback you describe is only
        > useful to the extent it serves as a lower-cost proxy for the the
        > real thing. Since even sketching things out in a room alone is
        > feedback-driven, clearly I need a better term for what I mean.

        Jared Spool has an interesting breakdown of design approaches that you
        might find of interest.

        http://www.uie.com/articles/five_design_decision_styles/

        by his categories I think you'd be talking about people doing "self
        design" and "genius design".