Re: [agile-usability] Valuing stories

    Message 1 of 53 , Sep 6, 2009
      On 6 Sep 2009, at 01:06, George Dinwiddie wrote:

      > Improving the user experience can be a story. But for it to be a
      > story,
      > it has to drive all the way through to functional software. Doing
      > paper
      > prototypes is just a task. It don't mean a thing until it gets
      > realized
      > in the code.

      Personally I find user stories that just focus on UX improvements a
      little bit of a personal red flag. Like refactoring cards they're a
      sign that we've gone down a bad route for long enough that we can't
      fix something in-story.

      When I start looking at the underlying reason we're having UX-only
      stories I often find that we've not been paying enough attention to
      the UX when it comes to the definition of done-done.

      http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh
      Message 53 of 53 , Sep 11, 2009
        On 6 Sep 2009, at 21:27, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

        > On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM, William Pietri<william@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> .... In fact, teams are doing design all the time. The choice
        >> isn't between designing and not designing; it's between designing
        >> well
        >> and designing poorly.
        >
        > Or between designing consciously and designing unconsciously,
        > the latter being fairly close to "not designing" :-)

        I think that they're probably an orthogonal dimensions myself. I've
        met people who make very good decisions about the design of the code/
        ux - but are not really able to articulate the reasoning behind them
        very well.

        This can be problematical since their decisions can sound arbitrary to
        others - even when they're really good decisions.

        http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh