Re: [agile-usability] Valuing stories

    Message 1 of 53 , Sep 6, 2009
      On 5 Sep 2009, at 22:53, jonathan berger wrote:

      > Ok, great, sure, you've got a very orthodox view of agile, and that's
      > cool. I buy that. But the question I struggle with is this: where does
      > design fit in? Do you write separate design stories? Is design part of
      > a development story? Is a story acceptable if the functionality is
      > there but its a poor UE? How do you measure "good" UE if UE can't be a
      > story because its not software?

      Which particular meaning of "design" are we talking about here? The
      "design" of the code (class hierarchies, etc.)? Or "design" in the big-
      D / product design / industrial design sense (ideation, etc.)

      If the former - then I'm with George/William. It's something you do
      all of the time.

      If the latter - then I think there's probably some interesting corners
      to explore.

      http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh
      Message 53 of 53 , Sep 11, 2009
        On 6 Sep 2009, at 21:27, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

        > On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM, William Pietri<william@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> .... In fact, teams are doing design all the time. The choice
        >> isn't between designing and not designing; it's between designing
        >> well
        >> and designing poorly.
        >
        > Or between designing consciously and designing unconsciously,
        > the latter being fairly close to "not designing" :-)

        I think that they're probably an orthogonal dimensions myself. I've
        met people who make very good decisions about the design of the code/
        ux - but are not really able to articulate the reasoning behind them
        very well.

        This can be problematical since their decisions can sound arbitrary to
        others - even when they're really good decisions.

        http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh