Re: [agile-usability] Valuing stories

    Message 1 of 53 , Sep 5, 2009
      jonathan berger wrote:
      > Ok, great, sure, you've got a very orthodox view of agile, and that's
      > cool. I buy that. But the question I struggle with is this: where does
      > design fit in? Do you write separate design stories? Is design part of
      > a development story? Is a story acceptable if the functionality is
      > there but its a poor UE? How do you measure "good" UE if UE can't be a
      > story because its not software?

      Design is a pervasive concern. As George says, teams should do design
      all the time. In fact, teams are doing design all the time. The choice
      isn't between designing and not designing; it's between designing well
      and designing poorly.

      If the user experience matters for your product, then I advise teams to
      default to getting that right in every story. Ditto for every other sort
      of design, too.

      As to measuring a good user experience, the easiest way to do that is by
      releasing, and then watching and talking with the users. That's
      sufficient to make a lot of progress, so I always encourage teams to
      start with that.

      Message 53 of 53 , Sep 11, 2009
        On 6 Sep 2009, at 21:27, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

        > On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM, William Pietri<william@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> .... In fact, teams are doing design all the time. The choice
        >> isn't between designing and not designing; it's between designing
        >> well
        >> and designing poorly.
        >
        > Or between designing consciously and designing unconsciously,
        > the latter being fairly close to "not designing" :-)

        I think that they're probably an orthogonal dimensions myself. I've
        met people who make very good decisions about the design of the code/
        ux - but are not really able to articulate the reasoning behind them
        very well.

        This can be problematical since their decisions can sound arbitrary to
        others - even when they're really good decisions.

        http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh