Re: [agile-usability] Looking for Training Suggestions

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
      Hi, Beth. Because Jeff is too polite to promote himself, I'll do it for
      him. The founder of this list, Jeff Patton, teaches courses on that.

      Although I haven't seen the courses myself, I've seen and really enjoyed
      some of his many conference presentations. And just recently a product
      manager came back from Jeff's class immensely pleased and excited by
      what he had learned.

      His upcoming public classes are here:

      http://www.agileproductdesign.com/classes/index.html

      That page also has contact info for custom courses.

      I also know some of the folks at Adaptive Path and Cooper are very
      excited about Agile methods, and although they haven't been involved as
      long as Jeff, they may have some offering that helps.

      Best,

      William

      bickey_bailey wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I lead a UX team and we are embarking on our first agile project. I'm interested in getting some training for my staff. I'm looking specifically for training in writing users stories but would also like to here suggestions for UX in Agile in general (as user stories are likely to be covered).
      >
      > Because I have some staff who are unable to travel, it would be great to hear about online courses and on-site training/consultants.
      >
      > Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Beth LaPensee
      > www.jstor.org

    • Kristen Johansen
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009

        Beth –

        I’ll second Bill’s recommendation.  Jeff Patton came and did an on-site training for my product managers and UX designers last year, and he was great to work with.  We were able to customize his course offering to cover what was important for us, and after doing the training he made himself available to help folks on different teams with problems they were having.  Also, his rates were quite reasonable, especially compared to some others we talked to.

        I highly recommend him!

        bickey_bailey wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I lead a UX team and we are embarking on our first agile project. I'm
        interested in getting some training for my staff. I'm looking specifically for training in writing users stories but would also like to here suggestions for UX in Agile in general (as user stories are likely to be covered).

        > Because I have some staff who are unable to travel, it would be great to
        hear about online courses and on-site training/consultants.

        > Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Beth LaPensee
        > www.jstor.org

      • BJ Clark
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
          Hi Beth,

          I will second William's recommendation.
          I have experienced Jeff's training, both his "Agile Product Design" class as well as custom training onsite at AboutUs.org. I can't possibly give my experiences with Jeff high enough praise. He changed how I approach software projects personally and his leadership reshaped how we built out product at AboutUs.org.

          Good Luck,
          BJ Clark

          bickey_bailey wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I lead a UX team and we are embarking on our first agile project. I'm interested in getting some training for my staff. I'm looking specifically for training in writing users stories but would also like to here suggestions for UX in Agile in general (as user stories are likely to be covered).
          >
          > Because I have some staff who are unable to travel, it would be great to hear about online courses and on-site training/consultant s.
          >
          > Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Beth LaPensee
          > www.jstor.org

        • y2chuck
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
            I'll third that recommendation. I took Jeff's one day bootcamp on Agile Product Design and found it to be extremely valuable.

            I've used the techniques learned multiple times now and regardless of job title, people understand it very well right off the bat.

            --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Kristen Johansen <kristen.johansen@...> wrote:

            > Beth -
            >
            > I'll second Bill's recommendation. Jeff Patton came and did an on-site training for my product managers and UX designers last year, and he was great to work with. We were able to customize his course offering to cover what was important for us, and after doing the training he made himself available to help folks on different teams with problems they were having. Also, his rates were quite reasonable, especially compared to some others we talked to.
            >
            > I highly recommend him!

          • Anders Ramsay
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22, 2009
              I guess I'm fourthing the previous recommendations of taking Jeff's
              workshop. I sat in on a dry-run of his new Passionate Product Owner
              workshop and shared some thoughts about it on my blog:
              http://is.gd/2tN09