Re: [agile-usability] assessing agility

  • Austin Govella
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12, 2009
      On Jul 9, 2009, at 10:54 AM, dina salah wrote:
      > Among all the suggestions to achieve agile usability, how can u
      > prove that your suggested method is better than any other suggested
      > method?Is it through user/ customer satisfaction? Better
      > Developement team productivity? More Agility? ....

      Dina,

      The effectiveness of any given method for any project is largely
      driven by the organization's design literacy. And then it's also
      largely driven by the organization's culture. And then it's also
      driven by the practitioner's political savvy and ability to evangelize.

      There is no best method, and I don't think you could actually measure
      one. There are only better methods for different circumstances which
      is why anecdotes and sharing our experiences is so important. Proper
      case studies might be better, but sharing experiences may be the only
      way to teach these skills.

      --
      Austin Govella
      User Experience

      Work: http://www.grafofini.com
      Blog: http://www.thinkingandmaking.com
      Book: http://www.blueprintsfortheweb.com

      austin@...
      215-240-1265

      Upcoming speaking engagements:

      1. JUL 1: Agile+UX - collaboration in the wild
      Panel and presentation at UX Austin on strategies for agile UX -
      Austin, TX

      2. JUL 21: Liquid user experience
      Presentation at Dallas UPA on designing content, navigation, and
      interactions for highly dynamic sites - Dallas, TX
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
        On 12 Jul 2009, at 23:23, Austin Govella wrote:

        > On Jul 9, 2009, at 10:54 AM, dina salah wrote:
        >> Among all the suggestions to achieve agile usability, how can u
        >> prove that your suggested method is better than any other suggested
        >> method?Is it through user/ customer satisfaction? Better
        >> Developement team productivity? More Agility? ....
        >
        > Dina,
        >
        > The effectiveness of any given method for any project is largely
        > driven by the organization's design literacy. And then it's also
        > largely driven by the organization's culture. And then it's also
        > driven by the practitioner's political savvy and ability to
        > evangelize.

        ... and type of project, and kind of problem, and the people on the
        team and ...

        > There is no best method, and I don't think you could actually measure
        > one. There are only better methods for different circumstances which
        > is why anecdotes and sharing our experiences is so important. Proper
        > case studies might be better, but sharing experiences may be the only
        > way to teach these skills.

        I'm also beginning to think that there is a pattern language evolving,
        with context and pressures that make particular techniques more or
        less applicable. Possibly just in my head of course :-)

        For example I'm going to be using very different techniques if I have:
        a) an on-site Customer (in the XP sense) in the team room full time
        who is also an end-user
        b) an off-site Customer (in the XP sense) who isn't an end-user at all

        http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh
      • Anders Ramsay
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
          Hi Dina,

          As William and others said, talking about a "best" method is probably
          not that fruitful. Similar to the saying about politics, all methods
          are local. The method or process that is ideal for your team may not
          be ideal for another team. At the same time, there are definitely
          agile usability patterns that are emerging, but even in those cases,
          when getting into specific methods and activities, I'd say they are
          likely to remain anecdotal and not really become formal best-practice
          patterns (i.e.it works for most teams, most of the time) until having
          been tested in ways similar to the patterns that became Scrum, which
          has been used in thousands of projects since being introduced in '96.
          -Anders

          On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM, dina salah<dina_salah_eldin@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I am aware of the wide spectrum of proposals, techniques, approaches for
          > improving agile usability, however, i believe that most of the assessements
          > were ancedotal.
          > If anyone has a different opinion kindly share it.
          > What i am asking about is:
          > Among all the suggestions to achieve agile usability, how can u prove that
          > your suggested method is better than any other suggested method?Is it
          > through user/ customer satisfaction? Better Developement team productivity?
          > More Agility? ....
          > And again how do u backup your opinion?
          > Cheers,
          > Dina

        • Jeremy Kriegel
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
            I think there is an assumption in the prior comments that I'd like to call out. It is that you and your team are familiar with UX practices as used in non-agile environments. If you are, then it is a case of how to adapt what you know or learn new techniques that will benefit your situation.

            If, however, you are new to UX in general, you might need to start by learning some of the baseline UX practices. Many of the things that worked outside of agile will still work inside of agile. They may just need to be tweaked in their execution or timing.

            Jeff Patton has put together a fairly generic 2 week process that will cover the UX bases in an agile way. If you need a place to start, consider it. Once you have a baseline, his or your own, you can start evolving it to meet your specific needs. I can't find a blog post where he spells it out, but this one is close (http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/emerging_best_agile_ux_practice.html). You may just need to go to one of his workshops, however, if you digest most of his writings, you'll have a good sense for what he will present.

            -jer

            "Be well, do good work & keep in touch."
                - Garrison Keillor