Re: [agile-usability] Design Values

  • Jared Spool
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 12, 2009

      On Jul 12, 2009, at 7:37 AM, Larry Constantine wrote:

      Jared introduced into this thread the simplification:

      "Well-researched user experiences over group-think- produced feature requirements. "

      And, for the record, I wasn't stating that I agreed with this statement. I was just checking to see if I understood what John had originally tried to say in his blog post.

      Jared
    • Jeremy Kriegel
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 27, 2009
        One of Jeff's points resonated strongly with me. To put it flippantly, no one cares how we build products, just how much they get from using them. Ideally, the way we work makes us happy, makes our customers happy, and makes our bosses happy. (note: money is often a significant component of said happiness)

        Adherence to the process can be almost comical. At a prior company, when talking to someone about why they missed their release deadline (yeah, I know. Agile and deadlines are not the best of friends) he explained that a certain activity had to be done 2 sprints prior to release, but that its associated story got cut from the sprint it needed to happen in. Clearly, there is a lot at work here that I'm not going to bother to dissect, but this team was more focused on the agile process than the success of the product and the perceptions of the company leadership. It was not pretty.

        -jer

        "Be well, do good work & keep in touch."
            - Garrison Keillor

        On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, John. On Sunday, July 26, 2009, at 10:53:07 PM, you wrote:

        > Heh. It would never occur to me to recommend something that I wasn't
        > doing myself.

        I often recommend exercise and eating sensibly ... War remains the decisive human failure.
        -- John Kenneth Galbraith