Re: [agile-usability] Design Values

  • John Schrag
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 12, 2009

      Larry, I'm sorry that you didn't read the original article that started this discussion.  It would have saved you some time.

      The list of "dichotomies" came first, from the article, and Jared later offered his simplification as a way of encapsulating everything on the existing list.

      Plus, they article makes it very clear that these are not dichotomies (true or false).  Everything on the list is of value;  the list reflects how our team resolves differences in cases of conflict.  For example, I value expert opinion very highly --- but at times when the facts on the ground contradict it, I'm going with the facts.  Not every team does this.

      john

      Larry Constantine wrote:

      Jared introduced into this thread the simplification:

      "Well-researched user experiences over group-think- produced feature requirements.

      Later the list was expanded with other dichotomous distinctions

      As a licensed troublemaker and certified outlier, I am bothered by the continued virulence of this sort of “versus virus” that infects us so frequently. Even valid or useful dichotomies are constraining, limiting the purview to a single dimension or distinction when the world is, thankfully, ever so much messier and interesting than that. And false dichotomies, such as most of those listed, are for more insidious in the way they can poison thought and practice.

    • Jeremy Kriegel
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 27, 2009
        One of Jeff's points resonated strongly with me. To put it flippantly, no one cares how we build products, just how much they get from using them. Ideally, the way we work makes us happy, makes our customers happy, and makes our bosses happy. (note: money is often a significant component of said happiness)

        Adherence to the process can be almost comical. At a prior company, when talking to someone about why they missed their release deadline (yeah, I know. Agile and deadlines are not the best of friends) he explained that a certain activity had to be done 2 sprints prior to release, but that its associated story got cut from the sprint it needed to happen in. Clearly, there is a lot at work here that I'm not going to bother to dissect, but this team was more focused on the agile process than the success of the product and the perceptions of the company leadership. It was not pretty.

        -jer

        "Be well, do good work & keep in touch."
            - Garrison Keillor

        On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, John. On Sunday, July 26, 2009, at 10:53:07 PM, you wrote:

        > Heh. It would never occur to me to recommend something that I wasn't
        > doing myself.

        I often recommend exercise and eating sensibly ... War remains the decisive human failure.
        -- John Kenneth Galbraith