Re: [agile-usability] Design Values

  • Todd Zaki Warfel
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 12, 2009

      On Jul 12, 2009, at 7:37 AM, Larry Constantine wrote:

      For instance, quality of data and ease of data collection need not be in opposition.

      I took Jared's dichotomy list as "strive for A instead of B." While quality data may not always be difficult, the focus should be on obtaining quality data regardless of how easy or difficult it is to get. The goal isn't "just get any data quickly." The goal is "get the highest quality data we can w/in the constraints (e.g. time, money, resources) we have."

      And frankly, in corporate environments where attitudes are often "I need to do something to validate my job", the focus is on doing something/anything, rather than something of quality. This is one of the primary contributors to products and services ladened with unnecessary and low-value features that have little if any benefit whatsoever.

      Cheers!

      Todd Zaki Warfel
      Principal Design Researcher
      Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
      ----------------------------------
      Contact Info
      Voice: (215) 825-7423
      Email: todd@...
      Twitter: zakiwarfel
      ----------------------------------
      In practice, they are not.

    • Jeremy Kriegel
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 27, 2009
        One of Jeff's points resonated strongly with me. To put it flippantly, no one cares how we build products, just how much they get from using them. Ideally, the way we work makes us happy, makes our customers happy, and makes our bosses happy. (note: money is often a significant component of said happiness)

        Adherence to the process can be almost comical. At a prior company, when talking to someone about why they missed their release deadline (yeah, I know. Agile and deadlines are not the best of friends) he explained that a certain activity had to be done 2 sprints prior to release, but that its associated story got cut from the sprint it needed to happen in. Clearly, there is a lot at work here that I'm not going to bother to dissect, but this team was more focused on the agile process than the success of the product and the perceptions of the company leadership. It was not pretty.

        -jer

        "Be well, do good work & keep in touch."
            - Garrison Keillor

        On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, John. On Sunday, July 26, 2009, at 10:53:07 PM, you wrote:

        > Heh. It would never occur to me to recommend something that I wasn't
        > doing myself.

        I often recommend exercise and eating sensibly ... War remains the decisive human failure.
        -- John Kenneth Galbraith