Re: [agile-usability] assessing agility

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12, 2009
      dina salah wrote:
      > What i am asking about is:
      > Among all the suggestions to achieve agile usability, how can u prove
      > that your suggested method is better than any other suggested
      > method?Is it through user/ customer satisfaction? Better Developement
      > team productivity? More Agility? ....
      > And again how do u backup your opinion?

      Could you say more about your goal in asking those questions?

      I have seen a lot of teams, and I don't think I've ever seen one where a
      team has been helped by focusing on proving the absolute superiority of
      one method or another.

      If you are working as a team, releasing at least weekly, and doing
      regular retrospectives, you will find that most weeks are better than
      the one that came before. Each team seems to find their own particular
      definition of "better", and that definition changes over time.

      In that context, the way that teams decide what methods are best for
      their circumstances is generally through trying them out and seeing what
      works. Is that an option for you?

      William Pietri - william@... - +1-415-643-1024
      Agile consulting, coaching, and development: http://www.scissor.com/
      We'd love feedback on our new blog: http://agilefocus.com/
    • Austin Govella
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2009
        On Jul 9, 2009, at 10:54 AM, dina salah wrote:
        > Among all the suggestions to achieve agile usability, how can u
        > prove that your suggested method is better than any other suggested
        > method?Is it through user/ customer satisfaction? Better
        > Developement team productivity? More Agility? ....

        Dina,

        The effectiveness of any given method for any project is largely
        driven by the organization's design literacy. And then it's also
        largely driven by the organization's culture. And then it's also
        driven by the practitioner's political savvy and ability to evangelize.

        There is no best method, and I don't think you could actually measure
        one. There are only better methods for different circumstances which
        is why anecdotes and sharing our experiences is so important. Proper
        case studies might be better, but sharing experiences may be the only
        way to teach these skills.

        --
        Austin Govella
        User Experience

        Work: http://www.grafofini.com
        Blog: http://www.thinkingandmaking.com
        Book: http://www.blueprintsfortheweb.com

        austin@...
        215-240-1265

        Upcoming speaking engagements:

        1. JUL 1: Agile+UX - collaboration in the wild
        Panel and presentation at UX Austin on strategies for agile UX -
        Austin, TX

        2. JUL 21: Liquid user experience
        Presentation at Dallas UPA on designing content, navigation, and
        interactions for highly dynamic sites - Dallas, TX
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
          On 12 Jul 2009, at 23:23, Austin Govella wrote:

          > On Jul 9, 2009, at 10:54 AM, dina salah wrote:
          >> Among all the suggestions to achieve agile usability, how can u
          >> prove that your suggested method is better than any other suggested
          >> method?Is it through user/ customer satisfaction? Better
          >> Developement team productivity? More Agility? ....
          >
          > Dina,
          >
          > The effectiveness of any given method for any project is largely
          > driven by the organization's design literacy. And then it's also
          > largely driven by the organization's culture. And then it's also
          > driven by the practitioner's political savvy and ability to
          > evangelize.

          ... and type of project, and kind of problem, and the people on the
          team and ...

          > There is no best method, and I don't think you could actually measure
          > one. There are only better methods for different circumstances which
          > is why anecdotes and sharing our experiences is so important. Proper
          > case studies might be better, but sharing experiences may be the only
          > way to teach these skills.

          I'm also beginning to think that there is a pattern language evolving,
          with context and pressures that make particular techniques more or
          less applicable. Possibly just in my head of course :-)

          For example I'm going to be using very different techniques if I have:
          a) an on-site Customer (in the XP sense) in the team room full time
          who is also an end-user
          b) an off-site Customer (in the XP sense) who isn't an end-user at all

          http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh
        • Anders Ramsay
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
            Hi Dina,

            As William and others said, talking about a "best" method is probably
            not that fruitful. Similar to the saying about politics, all methods
            are local. The method or process that is ideal for your team may not
            be ideal for another team. At the same time, there are definitely
            agile usability patterns that are emerging, but even in those cases,
            when getting into specific methods and activities, I'd say they are
            likely to remain anecdotal and not really become formal best-practice
            patterns (i.e.it works for most teams, most of the time) until having
            been tested in ways similar to the patterns that became Scrum, which
            has been used in thousands of projects since being introduced in '96.
            -Anders

            On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM, dina salah<dina_salah_eldin@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I am aware of the wide spectrum of proposals, techniques, approaches for
            > improving agile usability, however, i believe that most of the assessements
            > were ancedotal.
            > If anyone has a different opinion kindly share it.
            > What i am asking about is:
            > Among all the suggestions to achieve agile usability, how can u prove that
            > your suggested method is better than any other suggested method?Is it
            > through user/ customer satisfaction? Better Developement team productivity?
            > More Agility? ....
            > And again how do u backup your opinion?
            > Cheers,
            > Dina

          • Jeremy Kriegel
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
              I think there is an assumption in the prior comments that I'd like to call out. It is that you and your team are familiar with UX practices as used in non-agile environments. If you are, then it is a case of how to adapt what you know or learn new techniques that will benefit your situation.

              If, however, you are new to UX in general, you might need to start by learning some of the baseline UX practices. Many of the things that worked outside of agile will still work inside of agile. They may just need to be tweaked in their execution or timing.

              Jeff Patton has put together a fairly generic 2 week process that will cover the UX bases in an agile way. If you need a place to start, consider it. Once you have a baseline, his or your own, you can start evolving it to meet your specific needs. I can't find a blog post where he spells it out, but this one is close (http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/emerging_best_agile_ux_practice.html). You may just need to go to one of his workshops, however, if you digest most of his writings, you'll have a good sense for what he will present.

              -jer

              "Be well, do good work & keep in touch."
                  - Garrison Keillor