Re: Design Values

  • juliebooth36
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 11, 2009
      John, thanks for this. I am raptly interested in your real-world experience; as you say, I've heard a lot from people who know what "well-researched" and who can speak academically. I don't identify so much as I do with real-world horror stories. I've just signed on with a large freight shipping company as one of only two UX types in the business unit responsible for developing all the software support for the pickup to delivery lifecycle. Just as I have joined, the development teams are switching to Agile. Everything is new and exciting here! I look forward to reading more.

      Peace,

      jb

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, John Schrag <john@...> wrote:

      > There is more to it --- specifically, there's a particular horror
      > story or two for each item on the list, which will be talked about in
      > future blog posts by members of my team. I think those articles will
      > be more fun to read, once they're written.
      >
      > I can't really disagree with the accuracy of your simplification, but
      > I don't know how useful it is. People who know what "well-
      > researched" means don't need to be told, and people who don't often
      > think that they do.
      >
      > -john
      >

      > On 11-Jul-09, at 9:50 AM, Jared Spool wrote:
      > > Hi John,
      > >
      > > This is interesting, but seems to me to be a bit more complex than
      > > it needs to be.
      > >
      > > Sounds to me that what you're saying in the blog post (http://is.gd/1uMjH
      > > ) is "Well-researched user experiences over group-think-produced
      > > feature requirements."
      > >
      > > Is there more to it?
      > >
      > > Jared
      > >

      > > On Jul 11, 2009, at 8:39 AM, John Schrag wrote:
      > >

      > >> I've written a post for my company's external design blog, that
      > >> might be of interest to this list.
      > >>

      > >> "...my co-workers and I spent several hours considering the
      > >> question of UX design practice. We weren't considering the
      > >> question of what makes good design; there are innumerable books on
      > >> that topic. We were considering the question of what separates a
      > >> healthy, effective design practice from the horror stories we hear
      > >> about when talking to others in the industry...."
      > >>
      > >> The full post is here: http://dux.typepad.com Feel free to
      > >> comment.
      > >>
      > >> -john schrag
      > >> interaction designer
      > >> autodesk

    • Jeremy Kriegel
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 27, 2009
        One of Jeff's points resonated strongly with me. To put it flippantly, no one cares how we build products, just how much they get from using them. Ideally, the way we work makes us happy, makes our customers happy, and makes our bosses happy. (note: money is often a significant component of said happiness)

        Adherence to the process can be almost comical. At a prior company, when talking to someone about why they missed their release deadline (yeah, I know. Agile and deadlines are not the best of friends) he explained that a certain activity had to be done 2 sprints prior to release, but that its associated story got cut from the sprint it needed to happen in. Clearly, there is a lot at work here that I'm not going to bother to dissect, but this team was more focused on the agile process than the success of the product and the perceptions of the company leadership. It was not pretty.

        -jer

        "Be well, do good work & keep in touch."
            - Garrison Keillor

        On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, John. On Sunday, July 26, 2009, at 10:53:07 PM, you wrote:

        > Heh. It would never occur to me to recommend something that I wasn't
        > doing myself.

        I often recommend exercise and eating sensibly ... War remains the decisive human failure.
        -- John Kenneth Galbraith