Design Values

  • John Schrag
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 11 5:39 AM
      I've written a post for my company's external design blog, that might be of interest to this list.

      "...my co-workers and I spent several hours considering the question of UX design practice.  We weren't considering the question of what makes good design;  there are innumerable books on that topic.  We were considering the question of what separates a healthy, effective design practice from the horror stories we hear about when talking to others in the industry...."

      The full post is here:  http://dux.typepad.com.   Feel free to comment.

      -john schrag
      interaction designer
      autodesk
    • Jeremy Kriegel
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 27 8:41 AM
        One of Jeff's points resonated strongly with me. To put it flippantly, no one cares how we build products, just how much they get from using them. Ideally, the way we work makes us happy, makes our customers happy, and makes our bosses happy. (note: money is often a significant component of said happiness)

        Adherence to the process can be almost comical. At a prior company, when talking to someone about why they missed their release deadline (yeah, I know. Agile and deadlines are not the best of friends) he explained that a certain activity had to be done 2 sprints prior to release, but that its associated story got cut from the sprint it needed to happen in. Clearly, there is a lot at work here that I'm not going to bother to dissect, but this team was more focused on the agile process than the success of the product and the perceptions of the company leadership. It was not pretty.

        -jer

        "Be well, do good work & keep in touch."
            - Garrison Keillor

        On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, John. On Sunday, July 26, 2009, at 10:53:07 PM, you wrote:

        > Heh. It would never occur to me to recommend something that I wasn't
        > doing myself.

        I often recommend exercise and eating sensibly ... War remains the decisive human failure.
        -- John Kenneth Galbraith