Re: [agile-usability] Poll on titles

  • Todd Zaki Warfel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009
      Yeah, I went to it and bailed because I had to sign-in to participate. Also, the ____Designer titles won't let me input a prefix. So, what does that mean? That could lend to any number of interpretations.

      On Jun 15, 2009, at 4:13 PM, Larry Constantine wrote:

      I am going to question in advance any possible validity to your poll results. First, any poll that requires you to login to yet another service (like Google Friend Connect) will limit and bias your sample. (I’m not going to join something just to answer a survey, and I know plenty of others who feel the same way.) There are many free and public survey tools (e.g., surveymonkey) that do not require this. Second, asking only first choice on a limited set throws away information and yields spurious results. First and second choices or, better yet, ranking, yields more information and more meaningful results.

      Cheers!

      Todd Zaki Warfel
      Principal Design Researcher
      Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
      ----------------------------------
      Contact Info
      Voice: (215) 825-7423
      Email: todd@...
      Twitter: zakiwarfel
      ----------------------------------
      In practice, they are not.

    • Russell Wilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009
        Very very valid point.  I threw this up quickly using Google's new Web Elements (initially thought it suppoorted anonymous answers) and hoped that enough people would have google logins that it
        would be acceptable.  (Note: you don't have to create a new login - you use your gmail login or there are other options).

        Suggestions for other ways to do this?  Surveymonkey?  I've gotten about 30 responses so far but would like many more.  If I can find a better tool I'll repost this with that.

        Thanks,
        Russ

        --------
        Russell Wilson
        Vice President of Product Design, NetQoS
        Blog: http://www.dexodesign.com
        LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/russwilson

        On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Todd Zaki Warfel <lists@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Larry Constantine
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009

          Russell,

          I am going to question in advance any possible validity to your poll results. First, any poll that requires you to login to yet another service (like Google Friend Connect) will limit and bias your sample. (I’m not going to join something just to answer a survey, and I know plenty of others who feel the same way.) There are many free and public survey tools (e.g., surveymonkey) that do not require this. Second, asking only first choice on a limited set throws away information and yields spurious results. First and second choices or, better yet, ranking, yields more information and more meaningful results.

          --Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow

            Professor | Department of Mathematics and Engineering

            University of Madeira | Funchal , Portugal

            Director | Laboratory for Usage-centered Software Engineering | www.labuse.org

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009
            Due to popular demand for eliminating the required login to take the survey, the poll has been reposted using SurveyGizmo (without require a login).  I separated title "prefixes" from "suffixes" into two questions where you can rank them rather than just pick your "first choices".  Apologies for rough formatting - tried to get this done between meetings... :-)

            Please if you can go to http://www.dexodesign.com and take the *new and improved* survey!

            Best regards,
            Russ

            --------