Agile Processs On Usabilty or User Experience

  • Lacroix, Eric
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2009

      Just Wondering if Anyone as some sort of report on how to get Usability and user Experience Designer get introduced into an Agile Scrum team. I’m currently reading the Nielsen Norman report on that topic. This will be really helpful to have a few comments or experience sharing on that topic.

      http://www.nngroup.com/reports/agile/

      Eric Lacroix B.Sc.

      User Experience Architect - Concepteur d’architectures ergonomiques

      Technology R&D - Technologie Recherche et développement

      CCH Canadian Ltd - CCH Canadienne Ltée

      1120, de Cherbourg

      Sherbrooke (Québec) J1K 2N8

      MSN: Eric.Lacroix@...

      Tel. : 819.566.5772.8208

      Fax/Téléc. : 819.564.3978

      Message 2 of 5 , May 26, 2009
        Hi, Eric. Welcome to the list!

        Lacroix, Eric wrote:
        Just Wondering if Anyone as some sort of report on how to get Usability and user Experience Designer get introduced into an Agile Scrum team.

        I could think of a variety of things you might mean by that. E.g.:

        1. How do I persuade a team to pay attention to usability?
        2. How do I persuade management to pay for a UX designer?
        3. I just hired a UX designer. How do I integrate them into my Agile team?
        4. We have a UX department which has normally worked pretty separately from our development teams. Now that our developers are going Agile, how do I get them to work together?

        Is any of those what you're after?

        Also, it can help people to say a little more about your context. For example, how long has the team been nominally Agile? How long are their iterations, and how often do they release? Is your product for an internal audience, shrinkwrap, paid web app, or free web app?

        Looking forward to the details,

        William

      • Lacroix, Eric
        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2009

          Thanks William for your Reply here are my comments:

          Just Wondering if Anyone as some sort of report on how to get Usability and user Experience Designer get introduced into an Agile Scrum team.

          I could think of a variety of things you might mean by that. E.g.:

          1.       How do I persuade a team to pay attention to usability?

          [E.L.1]: This is already done.

          2.       How do I persuade management to pay for a UX designer?

          [E.L.1]: This is already done.

          3.       I just hired a UX designer. How do I integrate them into my Agile team?

          [E.L.1]: We are having UX but we are looking to move from a waterfall approach to an Agile/Scrum processes approach.

          4.       We have a UX department which has normally worked pretty separately from our development teams. Now that our developers are going Agile, how do I get them to work together?

          [E.L.1]: Here we are.

          Is any of those what you're after?

          [E.L.1]: Yes.

          Also, it can help people to say a little more about your context. For example, how long has the team been nominally Agile? How long are their iterations, and how often do they release? Is your product for an internal audience, shrinkwrap, paid web app, or free web app?

          [E.L.1]:Here some details:

          I’m working for an ISV (Independent software Vendor) in Canada, we are releasing around 9 major version of different product per year. All those product are Desktop application running on Microsoft Windows.

          We have internally a role called “User Experience Architect”, the role is responsible:

          ·         To build in concordance with the project manager the product personality (Envisioning the product) when we start building a new product from scratch. This may include pattern, concept, extensibility and platform definition.

          ·         For an existing product when the Business analyst start analysis a new requirement  the UX build a Lo-Fidelity prototype, depending on the audience and the complexity we may use different or several techniques: Ink Sketch using Alias Sketchbook, Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Expression Blend and Visual Studio for interactive prototype. Most of the time we try to stick with Ink Sketch using Alias and a Tablet PC. The difficult part of that step is to make toe software simple and usable by respecting the software platform.

          ·         When the Use Case writer start writing is use case document (requirement analysis is now completed at that point) the UX is responsible to build the Hi-Fidelity document. That document represent the final screen that will be implement by the development team (Later on the Technical writing team will provide and review all text as a grid attached inside the document). We are using Microsoft Word and Photoshop to generate those. Those documents are getting referenced by the Use Case and the Test Case. Plus they get a peer review approval from: Business Analyst, Use Case Writer, Test Case Writer, Tester and Developers.

          So far we are investigating on how to use Agile/Scrum process for the next Generation of software (a more start from scratch project). And on how to include UX into that process. Here a couple hint on some items we are looking at from a more technical stand point:

          ·         We already decided to go with the WPF technology from Microsoft;

          ·         We are expecting that UX are going to design Hi-Fidelity using Expression Blend and then later connect the UI to the code using DataBinding. This may require our UX team be a bit more technical.

          ·         We already build a proof of concept to export the Hi-Fidelity document from blend to a readable exportable format that will be require by Use Case Writer, Test Case Writer, Tester for reviewing to content and for baseline(I didn’t mention but we are looking for CMMI level 2.0).

          And some of the concern I do have:

          ·         How do we plan UX (usability, pattern and so on) on the long term using Agile/Srum, using and ISV muti-year release;

          ·         How do we manage UX when you need to scale and have multiple Agile/Scrum team (4-8) working on the same product but different modules.

          Looking forward to the details,

          William

        • Diego Fernandez
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28, 2009

            [E.L.1]: We are having UX but we are looking to move from a waterfall approach to an Agile/Scrum processes approach.

            I think that this article: http://www.upassoc.org/upa_publications/jus/2007may/agile-ucd.html
            would be helpful
          • Lacroix, Eric
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29, 2009