RE: [agile-usability] Re: Question_Agile Process_ UIE Virtual Seminar

  • Manish Pillewar
    Message 1 of 64 , Mar 11 1:37 PM
      'You certainly can't turn everybody into a UX designer - but you can
      give people enough information and skills to spot/solve the easier
      issues leaving you free to concentrate on the harder ones.'

      That said, you'll have to be careful to miss not reviewing work(basic design) done by
      developers. The tendency is to design what can be coded by the team, rather than
      explore new concepts and then find some help to get it done.. Good design often gets
      killed on the coding table, if you, as a designer on the team, don't have a watchful eye.
      I have seen  brilliant UI solutions come up from the developers at times.

      Good profiles to start educating are the BA's and the PM on the project. Talk to the
      group for an hour about design, ideally before the project inception or iteration 0.Train
      BA's to capture information that is critical from the end user perspective. Teach them
      to make basic wireframes to help them capture information most effectively. Not all
      Agile projects have designers on them. BA's can cover up for designer deficiency by
      a good mile.

      With developers, it works best to work with them on the coding table. Design happens
      upfront and once the stories are listed, the designer moves from the screen to make way
      for the developers.Designers work is sinusoidal. Once the design is done, she can move around helping other projects.Though, a designer with some coding skills and pairing with a developer, adds much more value educating on design, on the same project.

      Awesome thread :-)

      Manish
      www.Thoughtworks. com
      http://linkedin.com/manishpillewar

      Message 64 of 64 , Oct 19, 2009
        At Con-way, we have the luxury (right now) of being in the same geographic location. But there are only two of us UX types... We work very closely with the BA and the Developers on the teams and have established a process where we participate in stand-up as much as possible and have a weekly revolving door ux session on whatever is testable. I posted a chart and a quick explanation about how we are using Mingle to manage that here:
        http://www.uxsuccess.com/2009/10/ux-and-agile-co-mingling.html