Re: [agile-usability] Question_Agile Process_ UIE Virtual Seminar

  • Nancy Frishberg
    Message 1 of 64 , Mar 10, 2009
      Srinivas (and all),

      I as a UX team member would want to get user input in a variety of ways. Usability evaluation is a good one, and with a coordinated team, it can happen within an amount of time that it can serve as input to revision prior to the programming get too far ahead.  And there are at least a dozen other techniques.  Some of them can extend over several sprints.

      Rather than have the developers or even the developers and the UX folks buy stories, I'd like to have users buy stories!   Buying is only one of several metaphors that you can use.

      Additional advantage of getting in front of users:  Having users rank or sort or arrange or buy stories means you get feedback on how well the team has been channeling the known stories, revisions to stories and new stories that you haven't thought of (because you're not the users of the target product, you don't operate in the work settings they do, and you don't manage their specific tasks with their interruptions, you don't have their background and they don't have yours).  Product owners can stand in for users or customers only so far.

      Plus, it's fun.

      May I invite you and others to join us at Usability Professionals Association's 2009 meeting in Portland Oregon, where I'll be moderating a panel about "Agile User Experience:
      Strategy and Design Research above and beyond Sprint 0" on the last morning?  I expect a lively discussion, especially if *you're* there!
      http://www.usabilityprofessionals.org/conference/2009/ (Early registration will open today or later this week.)

       -- Nancy

      Nancy Frishberg +1 650 804 5800 mobile
      Certified Innovation Games® Facilitator

      On Mar 9, 2009, at 5:58 PM, Srinivas Manda wrote:

      Thanks Mike ....

      in a project we usually take all the features and build them in the form of  " user stories"  and place all of these stories in the project backlog and we as a team take some of the stories  and buy them in each iteration.

      example : -

      say in total we have around 20 stories in the product backlog
      say we have 4 iterations

      5 stories x 4 iterations = 20 stories
      and the entire project (20 stories that are in the backlog) can be done in 4 iterations ....

      each iteration has 5  stories that team buys based on the priority  that is what i mean
      by "buy stories"..

      let me know if you have questions ....

      -srinivas

      Message 64 of 64 , Oct 19, 2009
        At Con-way, we have the luxury (right now) of being in the same geographic location. But there are only two of us UX types... We work very closely with the BA and the Developers on the teams and have established a process where we participate in stand-up as much as possible and have a weekly revolving door ux session on whatever is testable. I posted a chart and a quick explanation about how we are using Mingle to manage that here:
        http://www.uxsuccess.com/2009/10/ux-and-agile-co-mingling.html