Low-Fi Prototyping and Distributed WoZ Testing Tool

  • alihosseinikhayat
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2009

      Hi all,
      As some of you may remember Patrick Wilson (a member of Dr. Maurer's
      Agile SE Lab at the University of Calgary) designed a low-fidelity
      prototyping and distributed Wizard of Oz testing tool called
      ActiveStory. Following up on that work we have designed an updated
      tool called ActiveStory Enhanced with (hopefully) improved usability
      and flexibility and have also (hopefully) addressed some of the
      concerns some users had with the previous version (no undo, large
      eraser, etc).
      Using ActiveStory Enhanced a developer or designer (or anyone really)
      can design a quick pen-and-paper prototype, add some simple
      interactivity (transitions between pages when a hotspot area is
      clicked) and export the prototype to either an integrated web server
      or IIS (6.0 and above). Test participants can then navigate to the
      web address of the server and attempt to execute the designated task.
      Like the orginial ActiveStory, participants can leave comments and
      their mouse movements, hotspot clicks and time spent on each page are
      recorded.
      ActiveStory Enhanced supports using a tablet and/or a mouse.
      Designers can also import existing images and resize and move them.
      The new version of ActiveStory, (i.e. ActiveStory Enhanced), is
      available at CodePlex for download. Both the source and an installer
      are available.

      Your valued feedback and/or comments would be very much appreciated.

      Home: http://ase.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/index.php/ActiveStoryEnhanced/Home
      CodePlex page: http://www.codeplex.com/ActiveStoryEnhanced
      Installer:
      http://www.codeplex.com/ActiveStoryEnhanced/Release/ProjectReleases.as
      px?ReleaseId=23628

    • jonkern@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2009
        got anything for Mac users to try (without using parallels)?

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23, 2009
          Here are a couple options for Mac users:

          Balsamiq Mockups is a novel UI sketching app that works in the browser
          or as a downloadable Adobe Air application on your (Mac/Win/Linux)
          desktop. It's "novel" because it uses a pen-sketched style for all its
          pluggable UI elements. http://www.balsamiq.com/

          iPlotz is another browser/Air app that uses a less sketchy style. http://iplotz.com/

          AFAIK, neither app has built-in click tracking, so you'd have to use
          something like crazyegg (http://crazyegg.com) to figure that stuff out.

          I'd love to hear other people's suggestions about a Mac-compatible
          tool with built-in click tracking etc.

          DGB

          On Feb 23, 2009, at 1:15 PM, jonkern@... wrote:

          > got anything for Mac users to try (without using parallels)?

        • alihosseinikhayat
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 24, 2009
            Hi,
            Just wanted to quickly point something out. Although the
            ActiveStory Enhanced designer tool requires a Windows-based PC,
            the actual usability Wizard of Oz testing is done inside a web
            browser and test participants can run it whether theyre using
            Windows, Linux or Mac, and whether they're using Internet
            Explorer, Firefox or most other popular browsers.
            Also, the original version of ActiveStory should work on a Mac,
            although the setup file wont. If you download the source code and
            compile it (or set it up on a Windows machine and copy over the
            files to the Mac) you should be able to use it. I'm not quite sure
            if the built-in server for the orginal ActiveStory would work on a
            Mac though.
            In case your interested in trying you can get the original
            ActiveStory setup here:
            http://ase.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/index.php/ActiveStory/ActiveStoryDownlo
            adPage
            The source code for it was previously available on SourceForge,
            but I can't seem to find it there anymore. If needed email me and
            I'll look into making it available again.
            Regards,
            Ali Hosseini Khayat
            --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, jonkern@... wrote:

            > got anything for Mac users to try (without using parallels)?

          • Jon Kern
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2009
              i use balsamiq ;-)

              jon