ANN: Final week for registration in AgileProductDesign class Feb 23-25

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2009
      List members:

      <it's with a bit of guilt that I drop this announcement into the list
      since I've been an absentee community member for a while. But
      apparently I don't feel guilty enough to not self promote. ;-) >

      On February 23-25 I'll be teaching a two-day course (half day on first
      and last day) on what I refer to as Agile Product Design: https://shop.cockburn.us/Product/AgileProductDesign-090223
      (The course is taught in conjunction with my friend and agile
      luminary Alistair Cockburn who will be in attendance.) It's very
      short notice but I'd like to fill a few more seats.

      I use the term Agile Product Design to refer to the need to balance
      sensitivity to users and user experience with sensitivity to business
      value and the successful delivery of a viable product onto the
      market. It's a concern for the whole product from how it fits into
      the business strategy, to how users will use it and benefit from it,
      and then to how to tactically manage the development of the product in
      an agile context. For me, good design has to be shipped and in user's
      hands to be considered successful. I'm focusing on tactics that help
      good design thrive in an agile context.

      At the center of the course is a story writing and planning approach I
      refer to as User Story Mapping: http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/the_new_backlog.html
      For me it's the only way I can balance an agile concern for
      "chunking" up the software into small buildable pieces with the need
      to consider the product holistically - to consider the user experience
      across all users of the system.

      I've targeted this course at those filling the Scrum Product Owner
      role and working at a more tactical level. This includes business
      analysts, UI designers, business people, and and anyone regardless of
      your project role that finds themselves responsible for determining
      what software to build and how it should behave. These are folks I
      really see struggling on the teams I work with, folks that often get
      less guidance from traditional agile approaches.

      User Experience practitioners will gain some value from seeing a
      version of agile development that explicitly includes users, modeling
      of use, and prototyping and testing of user interface.

      For those experienced with agile, you'll get a break from instruction
      about the basics. I'll assume you know agile development generally,
      and get right to the heart of steering agile development. If you're
      newer to agile, handouts will give you the basics.

      This course is a bit of a test drive for much of the material that
      will appear in my forthcoming book. You'll leave with much of the
      text from the book in your handouts.

      Finally, it's been a sunny day in Salt Lake City today. Lots of snow
      in the mountains. Wonderful spring-ish skiing. If you're looking for
      an excuse for a ski vacation, this is it. I'll make sure you get
      locals rates. You'll also get a free dinner on Alistair and I at
      Alistair's home one evening during the course.

      Thanks all for tolerating the advertisement. Please contact me
      directly if I can answer any questions for you.

      Jeff Patton
      jpatton@...
      +1 801.910.7908
      skype; jeff_patton