[PLUG] Good Design Faster

  • Dan Harrelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2009
      Leah Buley, besides being my partner in crime on many projects and
      speaking gigs, has a way with the written word. She crafted a
      wonderful post to the Adaptive Path blog on the topic of Agile and UX.
      Best of all.... it's controversial!

      "Burndowns and Flareups in Agile Design

      Flareups, not burndowns ... where UX design really has the most to
      offer Agile is not in getting the nitty gritty design work done.
      Placing the buttons and aligning the labels must be done just as
      surely as dotting your I’s and crossing your T’s. But that’s not the
      high value UX work.

      No, what UX designers offer that’s special is help building a vision
      for what the product can and should be. This is not a reductive
      “getting things done” approach. It’s a generative “what does this
      have the potential to be” kind of approach. A good UX designer should
      encourage the team to ask that question, facilitate a process that
      brings the whole team along in answering it, and then make those
      answers tangible, doable, and, yes, a little bit pretty. (Jeff
      Patton, who is one of the strongest and most coherent voices for Agile
      + UX unity, has more to say on the importance of the designer as
      facilitator over on his blog, Agile Product Design.) Basically, I’m
      talking about the opposite of a burndown. Dare I say it? A design
      flareup!"

      http://www.adaptivepath.com/blog/2009/02/03/burndowns-and-flareups-in-agile-design/

      Have a piqued your interest? Do you agree and want to learn more about
      Leah (and my) ideas? Do you want to just ask Leah more about her black
      eye in person? Our workshop Good Design Faster is just the thing!

      Good Design Faster: High-Value Experience Design
      San Francisco: April 2-3, 2009
      This intense two-day workshop delivers a hands-on guide to the new UX
      skills required to tackle the design challenges of fluid interactions,
      service design, and multi-channel experiences. Workshops are led by
      Adaptive Path's team of experts.

      Find out more: http://www.adaptivepath.com/events/2009/apr/

      Use the discount code FODH or FOLB for 15% off!

      ...Dan