Re: [agile-usability] evaluating ease of use

  • Huey.DLL@gte.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
      Hello Andrea,

      I'd like to comment on this issue because we're going through a similar
      set of events.  My employer has bought up several competing products
      and has sent a new manager around looking for products that can be
      end of lifed to save money.

      The products share nothing in common other than some of the tasks
      they perform.  Some similarities include the ability to initiate pages,
      send emails, and manage alarm systems.  All the product lines have
      an existing customer base, each of which may be offended by end-
      of-lifing a product that they are used to.

      I brought this issue up with management because they didn't realize
      that they were doing useless work.  You see each of the product lines
      that have overlapping functionality are stable code bases.  There are
      enhancements elsewhere but no real ongoing maintenance.
      Combining the products by eliminating "paging" from one product
      in order to use the "paging" system of another was actually more
      work at this point.

      Worse management bought up these competing lines, allowed
      development of all products to continue for a year and suddenly
      want to axe something.  They didn't notice that while the various
      products did compete against one another, there were clear
      preferences given by customers as to which products they
      wanted to have.  The actual overlap didn't amount to much.
      The customers have also rejected the notion that one product
      meets all potential customer needs.  Each product was created
      with a specific usability and functionality to address.  In the end,
      management has backed off the focus of actally axing products
      just to save costs.

      We've entered a period where each of the groups have tried to
      cooperate more and management has started to see where each
      development group has something to offer the company as a
      whole.  Some groups are better at Agile Development, one
      is better at producing features at a low cost, and another has
      some moderate success at providing a better user experience.
      At this point managment has finally taken the approach that
      they want to look at what works and then make decisions.
      Blindly cutting off projects doesn't make sense in this case.

      David

      Feb 3, 2009 03:09:13 PM, agile-usability@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      I am currently involved in a project to evaluate two similar products
      to determine which one should be end-of-lifed and which we should
      continue to sell. The products are web hosting platforms that
      customers access and managed via a gui interface.
      Of course this will be an extremely politically charged issue, thus I
      would like to use some recognized usability criteria for evaluation and
      ultimately move forward with the product that is easiest for our
      customers to use.
      I was thinking of creating some task based criteria. For example, how
      many steps does it take a user to create a simple website or add email
      user accounts. What other ways could i evaluate the products? Has
      anyone ever done this type of evaluation before?
      I don't want to get bogged down in how the information should be
      presented (because I out of my league on that type of evaluation) and
      will recommend that an expert take on that job.
      I look forward to any advice and guidance.
      Thank you,
      Andrea