Re: evaluating ease of use

  • marjoriepries
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
      Andrea,

      I concur with Dan. Your production support collateral should already
      provide a lot of clues about what your users are looking for and
      where they are having problems. But I am less supportive of task
      lists as they often reflect management's bias as to what they think
      is a problem or a solution and may not be in touch with users at all.
      I would recommend you survey all the hard-evidence you already have,
      first. Then do some open-ended interviews and unstructured live
      observations with a representative sampling of your customers. What
      do they think is important? What products do they use as a basis for
      comparison? What features do they avoid using and where are they
      introducing workarounds or using external help? After you've gotten
      that broad view of the terrain, you can define more structured
      testing with defined tasks if needed to complete your product
      comparison.

      And forget to give equal attention to the plusses and well as the
      minuses. You don't want to come up with a study skewed to failure
      points at the expense of product strengths. You don't want to
      inadvertantly discard a feature or behavior that users really like
      while you're correcting a pain point.

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Naumann
      <danielnaumann@...> wrote:

      > Hi Andrea,
      >
      > Since these are existing products you should have a wealth of info,
      such as,
      > log files, completion rates and times, drop out rates and drop out
      points,
      > etc. And best of all you'll have existing users you can hopefully
      go talk
      > to to get feedback.

      > I'm sure others will have more suggestions too.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Dan.
      >
      > 2009/2/4 roosriders <roosriders@...>
      >
      > > I am currently involved in a project to evaluate two similar
      products
      > > to determine which one should be end-of-lifed and which we should
      > > continue to sell. .......
      > > Thank you,
      > > Andrea

    • Scharn, David
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009

        Hi Andrea,

        You might want to review Quesenbery’s article, What Does Usability Mean: Looking Beyond Ease of Use.

        http://www.wqusability.com/articles/more-than-ease-of-use.html

        She proposes ways to evaluate/define ease of use. Some of her characteristics are measurable (effective, efficient, error tolerant, easy to learn). These are characteristics of the product that you can quantify, which should help make your evaluation more objective. The numbers will justify your recommendation.

        Dave Scharn

        Interaction Designer

        Kronos

        978.947.4518

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
          There is a now ISO standard method for "summative", aka late stage
          evaluative, usability testing.

          The standard originated from an effort by NIST called the common
          industry format (CIF).
          http://www.google.com/search?q=common+industry+format
          http://zing.ncsl.nist.gov/iusr/

          This provides a highly rigorous way of designing, conducting, and even
          presenting the results of a test.

          Doing not just one but two tests may be beyond your available scope,
          in which case, I second the suggestion of using Nielsen's heuristics
          as objective criteria starting points.

          Cheers,
          Andy
          http://uxagile.com

          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "roosriders" <roosriders@...>

        • Huey.DLL@gte.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
            Hello Andrea,

            I'd like to comment on this issue because we're going through a similar
            set of events.  My employer has bought up several competing products
            and has sent a new manager around looking for products that can be
            end of lifed to save money.

            The products share nothing in common other than some of the tasks
            they perform.  Some similarities include the ability to initiate pages,
            send emails, and manage alarm systems.  All the product lines have
            an existing customer base, each of which may be offended by end-
            of-lifing a product that they are used to.

            I brought this issue up with management because they didn't realize
            that they were doing useless work.  You see each of the product lines
            that have overlapping functionality are stable code bases.  There are
            enhancements elsewhere but no real ongoing maintenance.
            Combining the products by eliminating "paging" from one product
            in order to use the "paging" system of another was actually more
            work at this point.

            Worse management bought up these competing lines, allowed
            development of all products to continue for a year and suddenly
            want to axe something.  They didn't notice that while the various
            products did compete against one another, there were clear
            preferences given by customers as to which products they
            wanted to have.  The actual overlap didn't amount to much.
            The customers have also rejected the notion that one product
            meets all potential customer needs.  Each product was created
            with a specific usability and functionality to address.  In the end,
            management has backed off the focus of actally axing products
            just to save costs.

            We've entered a period where each of the groups have tried to
            cooperate more and management has started to see where each
            development group has something to offer the company as a
            whole.  Some groups are better at Agile Development, one
            is better at producing features at a low cost, and another has
            some moderate success at providing a better user experience.
            At this point managment has finally taken the approach that
            they want to look at what works and then make decisions.
            Blindly cutting off projects doesn't make sense in this case.

            David