Re: Today's article on UseIt.com

  • Dan Blaker
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 2, 2009
      You're right, of course; my comment was only half-serious (which means
      it can only be half-specious ;-). Email is obviously the worst example
      of collaborative communication vehicles; however, I expect we'd all
      agree that at the opposite end of the spectrum is physical colocation.

      The main point I was trying to make was my latter assertion (which is
      fully-serious), that the historical advantages of physical solitude in
      software development have been mostly deprecated. The job is no longer
      *primarily* about deep thinking or pioneering coding techniques, but
      rather about applying known techniques to user and business problems.
      And I think this modern development process is always enhanced by
      physical colocation.

      DGB

      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 9, 2009
        > > There are other studies (I don't have the exact quote) that show
        that
        > > the difference between a top-notch developer and a run-of-the-mill
        one
        > > is a factor of 10 or so.
        >
        > The back up for that is here :-

        http://forums.construx.com/blogs/stevemcc/archive/2008/03/27/productivit
        y-

        variations-among-software-developers-and-teams-the-origin-of-quot-10x-qu
        ot.aspx

        Thx James. I always assumed that this was indeed supported by actual
        studies, but still had a small nagging doubt that it might be one of
        those urban legends that start with "studies show that ...." ;-). This
        is a good reference which eliminates that doubt.

        Alain