Re: Today's article on UseIt.com

  • tmfspeck
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Dan Blaker <blakerspam@...> wrote:

      > This email thread is, itself, an argument against the supposed virtues
      > of remote working. So many misunderstandings, misinterpretations and
      > misidentifications in a single debate! Just imagine if we were trying
      > to discuss the many alternative implementations for, eg, a web forum..

      Irrespective of my position of co- vs "no-" location, I have to
      disagree with this premise. I work remotely, but achieve co-location
      via phone, IM, Yammer, and web-conferencing, e.g., Dimdim or
      LiveMeeting. Email *is* a lousy vehicle for the quick back-and-forth
      communication necessitated by the Agile process and, as such, is a
      last resort. IOW, comparing a forum thread and real-time group
      communication is, in my view, a bit specious.
      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 9, 2009
        > > There are other studies (I don't have the exact quote) that show
        that
        > > the difference between a top-notch developer and a run-of-the-mill
        one
        > > is a factor of 10 or so.
        >
        > The back up for that is here :-

        http://forums.construx.com/blogs/stevemcc/archive/2008/03/27/productivit
        y-

        variations-among-software-developers-and-teams-the-origin-of-quot-10x-qu
        ot.aspx

        Thx James. I always assumed that this was indeed supported by actual
        studies, but still had a small nagging doubt that it might be one of
        those urban legends that start with "studies show that ...." ;-). This
        is a good reference which eliminates that doubt.

        Alain