Re: Today's article on UseIt.com

  • sepreece
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Dan Blaker <blakerspam@...> wrote:

      > This email thread is, itself, an argument against the supposed virtues
      > of remote working. So many misunderstandings, misinterpretations and
      > misidentifications in a single debate! Just imagine if we were trying
      > to discuss the many alternative implementations for, eg, a web forum..

      This would only be true if such mistakes were not also common in
      proximate communication, and if this forum were typical of the kind of
      virtual collocation the OP espoused, neither of which is true.

      If fact, it is quite common for people to have a conversation and go
      back to their desks with significantly different understandings of the
      conversation.

      And, virtual collocation would involve high-bandwidth, simultaneous
      communication (i.e., conversations) rather than low-bandwidth,
      asynchronous e-mail threads like this one.

      regards,
      scott
      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 9, 2009
        > > There are other studies (I don't have the exact quote) that show
        that
        > > the difference between a top-notch developer and a run-of-the-mill
        one
        > > is a factor of 10 or so.
        >
        > The back up for that is here :-

        http://forums.construx.com/blogs/stevemcc/archive/2008/03/27/productivit
        y-

        variations-among-software-developers-and-teams-the-origin-of-quot-10x-qu
        ot.aspx

        Thx James. I always assumed that this was indeed supported by actual
        studies, but still had a small nagging doubt that it might be one of
        those urban legends that start with "studies show that ...." ;-). This
        is a good reference which eliminates that doubt.

        Alain