Re: Today's article on UseIt.com

  • Owen Thomas
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi Adam

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Sroka" <adam.sroka@...>
      > [T]he military
      > has developed technology for doing exactly what you suggest (Fighting
      > fires remotely)[.]

      Yes, I have heard about that. I may, as you suggest, not have given an
      ideal analogy. My impressions are that no occupation wouldn't benefit to
      some degree if virtual or remote collaboration were employed. Would you

      > On the other hand, I am not aware of many professions, fire-fighters
      > and soldiers included, where practitioners actually prefer to be
      > somewhere other than where the action is.

      True. Indeed, I prefer to be where the action is; in my head. I also
      find that surrounding myself with those things that I'm familiar with
      and help me to relax to keep me in my head; where I'm most comfortable
      and feel most personally productive.

      About the firefighter/soldier analogy and virtual collaboration. These
      two occupations would definitely benefit. Both require working in
      adverse conditions. Both require intimate and accurate knowledge about
      the working environment. Both require close teamwork to achieve a goal
      (a mission) which is directed by some point of control who itself, needs
      intimate and accurate knowledge of the facts as soon as they evolve.

      > Most of the time it has to
      > do with saving money and/or lives. Software developers, so far as I am
      > able to tell, are unique in wanting simultaneously to work and to not
      > be where the work is happening.

      Where do you think the action is happening in software development? Not
      in one's head - the same place as I do?

      > The first example I am aware of in Star Trek was the first movie.

      I apologise. You do seem to be considerably more learned about sci-fi.
      I'll try to remember not to make controversial assertions in your
      presence without prefacing these assertions with a standard disclaimer
      similar to "I think...".

      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 9, 2009
        > > There are other studies (I don't have the exact quote) that show
        > > the difference between a top-notch developer and a run-of-the-mill
        > > is a factor of 10 or so.
        > The back up for that is here :-

        Thx James. I always assumed that this was indeed supported by actual
        studies, but still had a small nagging doubt that it might be one of
        those urban legends that start with "studies show that ...." ;-). This
        is a good reference which eliminates that doubt.