Re: [agile-usability] Re: Today's article on UseIt.com

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hello, Owen. On Wednesday, December 31, 2008, at 8:51:37 PM, you
      wrote:

      >> > Your point?

      >> > What relevance do these questions bare to my ability to do the job?

      >> They explore your rather unusual views on collocation.

      > I'm sorry, I think I only have a vague impression of what you are
      > getting at.

      > Could you please explain to me the relationship between working where
      > one works best and a family?

      It was a metaphor aimed at getting you to think differently about
      collocation. It failed to do that.

      The idea is: If collocation is not important to collaboration, why
      would a married couple and their children not all live in separate
      locations?

      Try another one: why don't we all work from home? Why are there
      office buildings at all?

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      To Fly, Flip Away Backhanded -- Master Frisbee
      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 9, 2009
        > > There are other studies (I don't have the exact quote) that show
        that
        > > the difference between a top-notch developer and a run-of-the-mill
        one
        > > is a factor of 10 or so.
        >
        > The back up for that is here :-

        http://forums.construx.com/blogs/stevemcc/archive/2008/03/27/productivit
        y-

        variations-among-software-developers-and-teams-the-origin-of-quot-10x-qu
        ot.aspx

        Thx James. I always assumed that this was indeed supported by actual
        studies, but still had a small nagging doubt that it might be one of
        those urban legends that start with "studies show that ...." ;-). This
        is a good reference which eliminates that doubt.

        Alain