Re: [agile-usability] Re: Today's article on UseIt.com

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 76 , Dec 31, 2008
      On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Owen Thomas <owen.paul.thomas@...> wrote:
      > Hi Adam
      >
      >> [H]umans being together in the same room is
      >
      >> *not* an anachronism and never will be (At least until we evolve into
      >> some sort of strange energy being a la Star Trek - at which time we
      >> won't be humans, so the point stands.)
      >>

      > Right you are about collocation always having its place. For instance,
      > one would not be able to fight a fire remotely; that is weird idealism
      > that makes as much sense as hoarding people together so one can extract
      > the milk of mysticism.

      Fire-fighting may not be the best analogy here. Actually, the military
      has developed technology for doing exactly what you suggest (Fighting
      fires remotely) and there are numerous advantages having to do with
      getting into really tight spaces and unpleasant things that happen
      when flesh reaches a certain temperature.

      On the other hand, I am not aware of many professions, fire-fighters
      and soldiers included, where practitioners actually prefer to be
      somewhere other than where the action is. Most of the time it has to
      do with saving money and/or lives. Software developers, so far as I am
      able to tell, are unique in wanting simultaneously to work and to not
      be where the work is happening.

      > As for the points of light conjecture, I don't think it was Star Trek
      > that gave us that one. I don't remember the name of the show (I'm no
      > follower of sci-fi), but I think it was either a four or eight season
      > serial about "Jump Points" and "Vorlons".

      The first example I am aware of in Star Trek was the first movie.
      Though, the race known as the Organians is mentioned in passing in
      TOS, but their nature is not described until much later. There was
      also the creature Q who featured prominently in several TNG episodes.
      All of this predates Babylon 5 by a considerable margin.

      Also Hubbard wrote about it, although it's not altogether clear
      whether it was fiction.
      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 9, 2009
        > > There are other studies (I don't have the exact quote) that show
        that
        > > the difference between a top-notch developer and a run-of-the-mill
        one
        > > is a factor of 10 or so.
        >
        > The back up for that is here :-

        http://forums.construx.com/blogs/stevemcc/archive/2008/03/27/productivit
        y-

        variations-among-software-developers-and-teams-the-origin-of-quot-10x-qu
        ot.aspx

        Thx James. I always assumed that this was indeed supported by actual
        studies, but still had a small nagging doubt that it might be one of
        those urban legends that start with "studies show that ...." ;-). This
        is a good reference which eliminates that doubt.

        Alain