Re: Seeking Input: CreativeCommons ebook argues for extensive "Appli

  • Ben Mauer
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2008
      Hey all,

      I'm Ben. I'm new to the group. See my bio below for more information.

      I want to respond to this question of iteration zero and our
      conception of it. I'm coming at this from the perspective of a
      designer who is very stoked about iterative development. I don't
      really understand why iterations would not start until the writing of
      code begins. Why wouldn't iterations of paper prototypes or even user
      stories be considered as part of an agile, iterative process? I don't
      see a strong distinction between drawing and coding, and I see both as
      part of a spectrum activities that support the growth of software out
      of an interdisciplinary team.

      I want to echo some other thoughts on this thread that ideally,
      designers and developers would be part of a core team iterating as a
      sprint unfolds, not interacting in a single, monolithic "pass-off".
      We're all artists, designers, and developers at various points. The
      real challenge is putting together a team with all the strengths
      necessary to accomplish stellar results.

      Rock on,

      Ben

      BIO:

      Ben Mauer is a veteran web designer passionate about using technology
      and design to bring about sustainable change on a human scale, and
      increased participation in the systems that shape our everyday lives.
      Previous to Quilted, he managed web development and communications for
      the ground-breaking research project, the Information Technology, War
      and Peace Project at Brown University, and worked a few stints at
      Wired Digital/Terra Lycos in San Francisco and various ad agencies. http://quilted.coop
      .
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2008
        Hi, Ben.

        I agree completely with the spirit of your post, especially about the
        way a team should work.

        There are a few reasons there's a history in the agile community of
        wanting to include development and release as soon as possible. I think
        the biggest one is as an antidote to the dreaded "fuzzy front end"
        problem, where a substantial portion of available time and money gets
        eaten up by unbounded vision and discussion, often in ways that are
        unproductive or even negatively productive.

        Personally, I'm skeptical of "iteration zero" because I've never seen a
        project that had developers handy where I couldn't immediately extract a
        week's worth of work from the plan. And in the beginning, things are
        generally slow enough to get started that it takes design and product
        management well less than a week of work to find another week of work.

        For example, on a web project, the first card I often do is "user views
        home page". In doing that, the developers will have to agree on
        frameworks and tools, set up a bunch of infrastructure (like version
        control), and do a bunch of other fiddling. Given that they'll be
        spending a lot of time in the early iterations on planning and
        estimating, and throw in a few spikes or research stories, and initial
        productivity is never tremendous. But give that, you've got to start
        sometime, so why not right away?

        William