Re: [agile-usability] Agile suitability query for small projects

  • James Page
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2008
      Merlin,

      I believe that many of the ideas of Agile come from the ideas around how small teams develop, so you have an advantage in adapting agile for a small team, not a disadvantage.

      He is concerned about scope creep,
      if your projects are only 1 month long then you will have between 2 and 4 iterations. There is not much opportunity for scope creep with such few iterations combined with the fact that Agile requires "working software". Therefore Agile will limit scope creep,
      change requests etc.
      Again Agile requirement of listening to the customer will enable change requests that are feasible.

      Agile is the manifesto and not the individual Agile Methods (SCRUM, XP etc..). So as long as you are staying close to the manifesto you should be fine.

      As Alistair Cockburn says "Experimentation is, of course, core to agile" in his article.

      http://alistair.cockburn.us/Is+the+failure+in+agile+adoption+due+to+cargo+cult%2c+shu+actions%2c+or+just+laziness

      It can also answer many of your questions.

      All the best

      James
      http://blog.feralabs.com/

      2008/12/9 merlin_the_happy_pig <mattyearle@...>

      Hi:

      I've recently started a new position for a small company that is beginning
      to take on web development projects which is outside its core business.

      I was amazed at the lack of planning, design and processes that were in
      place for the first project I was on so I have proposed many improvements so
      that future projects work better.

      One of these was the adoption of an agile based approach as I have used
      SCRUM before on larger projects and have seen how well it can work.

      The issue I have is that the projects that we will undertake are small (1 -
      2 developers over a month or so) and so don't really require the full Agile
      approach (pair programming, dedicated business user). I have proposed
      therefore, a lightweight alternative which picks out the parts of Agile that
      I think can be used to good effect (rapid development, welcoming changing
      requirements, less documentation etc).

      My first question is, do people this this is a good idea?

      Secondly, my boss is concerned about managing these changing requirements
      and the commercial side of things. I have proposed that we generate a high
      level design document, price against that and then allow for business
      feedback to be fed back into the development cycle.

      He is concerned about scope creep, change requests etc. and I would like
      some other views on this if possible?

      -Merlin The Happy Pig