Re: [agile-usability] Article on Design and Agile on A list Apart

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2008
      On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Ron Jeffries
      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > Hello, Adam. On Thursday, December 4, 2008, at 12:02:31 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Except that it is the Emperor's New Clothing. They have to believe
      >> we're selling something or we don't get paid. Software is the perfect
      >> thing to be selling, because no one is quite sure what it is (The
      >> magical stuff that the internet is made from.) And, everyone already
      >> expects us to fail (After all it's /really hard/.)
      >
      > Well, to operate that way, wouldn't one have to be living a lie?

      More or less.

      It is a mob mentality. The more people you have working on something
      the less stake they have individually. Add deep hierarchies and long,
      slow feedback loops and you have an environment where no one has any
      personal responsibility.

      I think a lot of software people just want to build things. If the
      "architect" comes and says, "I need a component that takes these
      inputs and produces these outputs, and I need it in six weeks," they
      are content to do that with little stake in how that relates to the
      business and the success of the overall project.

      I think the blame for mismanagement generally lies with such
      "architects" and whoever is pulling their strings. Sometimes it is
      malicious. Sometimes it is incompetence. Sometimes you have True
      Believers who are sure that what they are doing is the Right Way to
      develop software even though they've never personally seen it succeed.

      >> I'm being cynical, and you don't have to join me. On the other hand,
      >> cynics are people who have seen how screwed up the world can be.
      >
      > Everyone with their eyes open sees how screwed up the world can be.
      > The question is what do you do next.

      Personally, I make as much noise as I can and then try to get the next
      gig lined up. At some point I'd like to settle down and take some
      responsibility, but that hasn't been in the cards yet.