Re: [agile-usability] Re: Nielsen's article on UseIt.com

    Message 1 of 76 , Nov 19, 2008
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > What if UX designers, as presently constituted, actually were the
      > real problem? Should we not tell them?

      Well, I think the most you can tell them is that you perceive them to be
      the problem. Or perhaps more usefully, that you think certain behaviors
      of theirs contribute to problems. Given that they could well think the
      same thing, and given that we don't have an objective problem detector,
      knowing with certainty what is actually the real problem is impossible.

      That aside, I think telling people that they are part of the problem is
      much easier when you've built up some credibility and demonstrated some
      understanding of their situation.

      I have talked to a lot of designers who, rightly or wrongly, see agile
      methods as threats, just like Nielsen did. If, hypothetically the
      problem were 100% theirs, I'd still not start by saying that. I'd start
      by saying, "Hey, let's solve this small part of the problem together."
      My hope would be that by putting forth effort, I'd gain enough trust to
      break off and solve another chunk of the problem.

      Even if the problem were all theirs (which I don't believe), the powers
      we have to solve it are only ours.

      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 9, 2009
        > > There are other studies (I don't have the exact quote) that show
        that
        > > the difference between a top-notch developer and a run-of-the-mill
        one
        > > is a factor of 10 or so.
        >
        > The back up for that is here :-

        http://forums.construx.com/blogs/stevemcc/archive/2008/03/27/productivit
        y-

        variations-among-software-developers-and-teams-the-origin-of-quot-10x-qu
        ot.aspx

        Thx James. I always assumed that this was indeed supported by actual
        studies, but still had a small nagging doubt that it might be one of
        those urban legends that start with "studies show that ...." ;-). This
        is a good reference which eliminates that doubt.

        Alain