Re: [agile-usability] Re: Nielsen's article on UseIt.com

    Message 1 of 76 , Nov 19, 2008
      aacockburn wrote:
      > I'm happy he wrote it and I agree with pretty much everything he
      > wrote except, "Agile's biggest threat to system quality stems from
      > the fact that it's a method proposed by programmers" [...]
      >
      > If UX designers decide that BECAUSE it was suggested by programmers
      > that it's bad for them, then the UX designers are the biggest
      > threat themselves.

      Maybe threat is the wrong word, but I think he has a point.

      I'm a programmer, and I agree that's at least a big risk. I don't know
      that it's the biggest one, but from the perspective of somebody who
      spends most of his time on consumer-facing software, I think Agile
      methods as written have a a big gap. I don't think this was intentional;
      it's just a continuation of the prevalent software development culture.
      My understanding is that none of the Agile Manifesto signers was a user
      experience designer, user researcher, or interaction designer, for example.

      The experience of a lot of designers is that they get run right over by
      engineering on a regular basis, and because of that end up with products
      they're very unhappy with. When engineers propose a shiny new method
      that seems to exclude them yet again, and doesn't have room for the
      accommodations that they've wedged into the waterfall-ish processes,
      then it's no wonder that they'd see it as a threat.

      If we'd like UX designers not to see us as a threat, I don't think
      telling them that they're the real problem is particularly productive.
      I'd rather focus on altering either the methods or our presentation of
      them so that they don't feel threatened.

      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 9, 2009
        > > There are other studies (I don't have the exact quote) that show
        that
        > > the difference between a top-notch developer and a run-of-the-mill
        one
        > > is a factor of 10 or so.
        >
        > The back up for that is here :-

        http://forums.construx.com/blogs/stevemcc/archive/2008/03/27/productivit
        y-

        variations-among-software-developers-and-teams-the-origin-of-quot-10x-qu
        ot.aspx

        Thx James. I always assumed that this was indeed supported by actual
        studies, but still had a small nagging doubt that it might be one of
        those urban legends that start with "studies show that ...." ;-). This
        is a good reference which eliminates that doubt.

        Alain