Shaded User Input Fields - Their Significance?

  • Leina
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hello All

      I've noticed that when I enter my details onto a form some fields are
      shaded (e.g. yellow) whilst others are not. Those shaded fields are not
      necessarily mandatory required fields so I'm not sure why shading has
      been applied?

      An example of this is on Amazon. If you sign in by entering your email
      address that field is shaded yellow, however the password field is not
      shaded at all.

      Does anyone know why this is done?

      Regards
      Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
        Are you talking about yellow shading like this?

        http://ddhr.org/img/autofill.png

        If so, that's the Google Toolbar AutoFill visual hint:

        http://toolbar.google.com/autofill_help.html

        William

        Leina wrote:
        > Hello All
        >
        > I've noticed that when I enter my details onto a form some fields are
        > shaded (e.g. yellow) whilst others are not. Those shaded fields are not
        > necessarily mandatory required fields so I'm not sure why shading has
        > been applied?
        >
        > An example of this is on Amazon. If you sign in by entering your email
        > address that field is shaded yellow, however the password field is not
        > shaded at all.
        >
        > Does anyone know why this is done?
        >
        > Regards
        > Lee

      • Sailesh
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
          The yellow fields are shown if you have google toolbar installed with
          the autofilled turned on. These fields are the ones' which google has
          stored and can autofill for you.

          Disable the autofill in the toolbar and it will remove all the yellow
          shaded fields.

          Cheers
          Sailesh

          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Leina" <leina_elgohari@...>