Re: [agile-usability] Re: Your / My Conflict

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
      Ninad Raval wrote:
      (exception to the rule is flickr, they have "your sets", "your photos" etc.)

      I think this works particularly well for Flickr as the site has a strong, personal voice. First-person pronouns are the people at Flickr; second-person language is for the user; third-person, for the other people on the site. I'd suspect that originated pretty naturally in the way it was developed: especially in the early days, there was a lot of close cooperation between the user community and Flickr's creators.

      For reasons I can't quite put my finger on, I'd be more inclined to use "your" language on a community product like Flickr, and "my" language on a non-social product. But looking around, I see that social network also-rans Friendster and Orkut used first-person pronouns, while Facebook and Twitter mostly drop the pronouns, and use second-person ones (you, your) when they don't.

      That pronoun lack seems a little less homey to me in a social site, but that's probably appropriate for the relationship that Facebook and Twitter want to have with their audience.