Can You Have More Than One Homepage

  • Leina
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2008
      Hello
      Can you have more than one homepage on the same site?

      For example think of a regular home page called "RegularHome" that has
      a link called "MyHome". This link takes a user to a dashboard type
      homepage where a user can perform all kinds of customisations. When
      the user is in MyHome they can still have access to the "RegularHome"
      page. They can switch back and forth between the regular homepage and
      the MyHome page (a bit like google where you can switch between classic
      view and iGoogle - the dashboard view)

      1. Is it okay to see the word "home" used more than once on the same
      page?
      2. Is it okay to see more than one home icons on the same page (each
      home icon leads the user to a particular home location)?

      Is there a conflict?

      Lee
    • Anoop Jayakumar
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2008
        Hi Leina,
        It would be interesting to see the value this general homepage brings to the users once we know who they are. At this point, the user is entitled his/her personal Homepage which provides all the relevant information in one place, eliminating the need to have another generic version.

        Hope this helps.
        Best Regards,
        ----
        Anoop Jayakumar
        User Experience Consultant
        anoop@...
        (408) 398 6080
        www.uxbay.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2008
          Hey Lee,

          A site with "regular home" and a dashboard page is typical when the
          home page is used for marketing. Take for example one of my favorite
          sites, TripIt. The MyTrips page is where I go most of the the time,
          but the homepage still exists. The home page is always displayed as
          the entry point when I type http://tripit.com and it's always
          marketing content. Frankly, I find this to be questionable design
          since you are bombarding current users with your marketing message
          (and a big "sign up" button) and keeping them one click from their
          preferred destination.

          I think the confusion of labeling both as a varient of "home" is not
          going to help anyone. In your example of Google, their homepage is
          "Search" and the dashboard is "iGoogle". I can't think of a good
          reason to not just label the dashboard what is is.

          ...Dan

          On Oct 21, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Leina wrote:

          > Hello
          > Can you have more than one homepage on the same site?
          >
          > For example think of a regular home page called "RegularHome" that has
          > a link called "MyHome". This link takes a user to a dashboard type
          > homepage where a user can perform all kinds of customisations. When
          > the user is in MyHome they can still have access to the "RegularHome"
          > page. They can switch back and forth between the regular homepage and
          > the MyHome page (a bit like google where you can switch between
          > classic
          > view and iGoogle - the dashboard view)
          >
          > 1. Is it okay to see the word "home" used more than once on the same
          > page?
          > 2. Is it okay to see more than one home icons on the same page (each
          > home icon leads the user to a particular home location)?
          >
          > Is there a conflict?
          >
          > Lee

        • Daniel Szuc
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 21, 2008
            Hi Lee:

            > Frankly, I find this to be questionable design
            > since you are bombarding current users with your marketing message
            > (and a big "sign up" button) and keeping them one click from their
            > preferred destination.

            Agree with Dan H.

            People look for a post login experience thats easier to find what they
            need and provides the benefits of registering in the first place.
            Suggest making the Home Page their personal dashboard after they login.

            You are more likely to get people's attention around marketing
            messages, if you have their attention in the first place (from their
            personal dashboard)

            Also see -- http://uxmatters.com/MT/archives/000212.php

            rgds,
            Dan

            On 22 Oct 2008, at 8:23 AM, Dan Harrelson wrote:

            > Hey Lee,
            >
            > A site with "regular home" and a dashboard page is typical when the
            > home page is used for marketing. Take for example one of my favorite
            > sites, TripIt. The MyTrips page is where I go most of the the time,
            > but the homepage still exists. The home page is always displayed as
            > the entry point when I type http://tripit.com and it's always
            > marketing content. Frankly, I find this to be questionable design
            > since you are bombarding current users with your marketing message
            > (and a big "sign up" button) and keeping them one click from their
            > preferred destination.
            >
            > I think the confusion of labeling both as a varient of "home" is not
            > going to help anyone. In your example of Google, their homepage is
            > "Search" and the dashboard is "iGoogle". I can't think of a good
            > reason to not just label the dashboard what is is.
            >
            > ...Dan
            >
            > On Oct 21, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Leina wrote:
            >
            > > Hello
            > > Can you have more than one homepage on the same site?
            > >
            > > For example think of a regular home page called "RegularHome" that
            > has
            > > a link called "MyHome". This link takes a user to a dashboard type
            > > homepage where a user can perform all kinds of customisations. When
            > > the user is in MyHome they can still have access to the
            > "RegularHome"
            > > page. They can switch back and forth between the regular homepage
            > and
            > > the MyHome page (a bit like google where you can switch between
            > > classic
            > > view and iGoogle - the dashboard view)
            > >
            > > 1. Is it okay to see the word "home" used more than once on the same
            > > page?
            > > 2. Is it okay to see more than one home icons on the same page (each
            > > home icon leads the user to a particular home location)?
            > >
            > > Is there a conflict?
            > >
            > > Lee

          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 21, 2008
              Leina wrote:
              > Hello
              > Can you have more than one homepage on the same site?

              What does "homepage of a site" mean? To me, the "home page" is the one
              you've set your browser to load on startup. In the early days, that was
              typically also the context root for the user's web pages
              (~/public_html/) and therefore was the physical root of their hierarchy
              of pages.

              I suspect you're going for the concept of "entry page" which is a page a
              person is likely to use when entering the site. It's quite possible to
              have multiple such.

              - George