Re: [agile-usability] Module/Driven/Porlet Driven Pages and Accessibility

  • James Page
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2008
      My personal view is that the BBC home page is rather closed, and the yahoo, iGoogle open widget approach is better.

      But on the other hand the BBC is freeing up its content through Backstage so you can easily import the data into yahoo/iGoogle.

      I wonder if the BBC could allow 3rd party content onto their home page.

      James

      PS: Do try out a Screen Reader just to give yourself an idea how bad the experience is for somebody who is visually impaired. The challenge now is that most people just try to meet the requirements of making a page accessible, but do not make the experience pleasurable or pleasant.

      On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 6:17 PM, leina elgohari <leina_elgohari@...> wrote:

      If a user visits Yahoo/Google then they are presented with a standard portal view.
      A user can have the option to sign up to MyYahoo/iGoogle which would give them another view - the module driven design view.

      A module design view for iGoogle, for example, brings in various branded services (e.g. Wikipedia, YouTube, BBC etc) into self contained boxes.

      So with iGoogle and MyYahoo a user can have access to 2 views.

      I understand how the new BBC evolved out of the old design where almost everything was presented to the user - which they probably thought wasn't ideal. But the latter nevertheless could be their standard view.

      If the BBC allowed the user to sign up to the module view they can then allow them the benefit of 2 views. What is more, when a user signs up and makes changes to modules on one machine they can see those changes on other machines. Currently the user can't do that - any changes made are confined to one machine (as there's not sign in).

      I just wander if the BBC site is the best candidate for a module driven design as all their modules are BBC branded. But maybe they can design it like that as the BBC has a lot of very strong brands. Is brands/lack of brands an issue with a module design?

      Lee

      p.s. I haven't downloaded a screen reader yet but I'm sort of guessing that the standard view would provide a better experience for the user hence another reason to keep the standard view? (don't know yet need to test)

      From: James Page <jamespage@gmail. com>
      To: agile-usability@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 3:48 PM

      The BBC gave a very interesting talk a couple months ago at UPA talk in London.

      From what I can remember.

      BBC carried out many tests on the homepage, and went through many iterations to get it right.

      They have quite a large budget for accessibility.

      As far as I can remember from what they have said they carried out a multiple of lab sessions with many different people with many different disabilities. As well as following the guidelines.

      James

      On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Leina <leina_elgohari@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Everyone
      I wander if anyone has carried out an accessbility review on such web
      pages (example is the BBC.com homepage).
      I'd like to know what kind of things did you test?
      What did your findings reveal etc.
      Thanks
      Leina