How building learn

  • James Page
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
      People may be interested in these documentaries by Stewart Brand. Even though the documentaries where made in 90's they seam very very now.

      Kevin Kelly on his blog says about the program.
      Stewart Brand says architecture is a prediction, and all predictions are wrong, so the more monumental the architecture, the more wrong the building is.

      There is a great interview with Christopher Alexander http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Alexander . It seams that his technique of architecture seams almost agile.

      James

    • Ron Vutpakdi
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "James Page" <jamespage@...>
        wrote:

        > People may be interested in these documentaries by Stewart Brand. Even
        > though the documentaries where made in 90's they seam very very now.
        > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8639555925486210852
        >
        > Kevin Kelly on his blog says about the program.
        >
        > > Stewart Brand says architecture is a prediction, and all
        predictions are
        > > wrong, so the more monumental the architecture, the more wrong the
        building
        > > is.

        Steward Brand also has a very good book by the same name (_How
        Buildings Learn: What Happens After They Are Built_. Well worth the
        read. It's been over a decade since I read the book, but the general
        premise is that as time passes, the way people use buildings changes,
        and that the best buildings are built so that they can accommodate
        that change as gracefully as possible.

        Ron
      • Scott Preece
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
          The Six S's diagram - the multiple aspects of the building that change at different rates and need to be fixed at different times - is one of my favorites. It's fun to discuss how the Ss (site, skin, structure, services, surfaces, stuff) map to software concepts, or don't.

          scott

          > People may be interested in these documentaries by Stewart Brand. Even
          > though the documentaries where made in 90's they seam very very now.
          > http://video. google.com/ videoplay? docid=8639555925 486210852
          >
          > Kevin Kelly on his blog says about the program.
          >
          > > Stewart Brand says architecture is a prediction, and all
          predictions are
          > > wrong, so the more monumental the architecture, the more wrong the
          building
          > > is.

          Steward Brand also has a very good book by the same name (_How
          Buildings Learn: What Happens After They Are Built_. Well worth the
          read. It's been over a decade since I read the book, but the general
          premise is that as time passes, the way people use buildings changes,
          and that the best buildings are built so that they can accommodate
          that change as gracefully as possible.

          Ron

        • Fredrik Matheson
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
            "How buildings learn" is an excellent book and a cornerstone of adaptive design, in many ways a forerunner of the perpetual beta, from a product/service/architecture standpoint.

            I wasn't aware that it was a series as well, thanks so much for sharing!

            - Fredrik
          • James Page
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2008
              Scot,

              How do you believe that the six S map to software?

              James